PDA

View Full Version : Waste Disposal?

VFE
24th Jun 2004, 17:06
Had quite a few people ask me about toilet waste disposal from commercial aircraft the past few days. During my ATPL course we never touched on this subject whatsoever so I'm always left shrugging my shoulders!

So, do commercial aircraft have the facility to dump human waste whilst in the air and have there really been cases of blocks of human waste hitting terrafirma?

Thanks.

VFE.

jumpseater
24th Jun 2004, 17:20
They don't have a 'dump' (so to speak :E) facility as such, usually its a leaky or poor seal on the honey wagon access points. As the aircraft flies and the bloo loo leaks it forms ice on the airframe. In the descent, particularly in summer a mixture of turbulence and warmer air can dislodge the ice to fall to the ground. It can do considerable damage on arrival, large lumps of frozen richards falling and travelling at several hundred miles an hour can really spoil your day. Interestingly for some insurance claims, people have kept the 'evidence' and put it in the freezer without a plastic bag! :yuk: or even in a plastic bag :hmm:

witchdoctor
25th Jun 2004, 13:42
All the toilet waste is stored on board the aircraft (in the "hunny tank" - cos that's where all the poo goes) and then emptied by a service vehicle ("the hunny wagon") once on the ground during the turnaround process. You might see the vehicle hooked up at the point on the aircraft where the toilets are located, with what looks like a giant vacuum cleaner hose attached between the two. The operative will usually (provided he has all his marbles) be wearing protective overalls and a face visor in case of a very unpleasant accident which can occur from time to time.:yuk: He's also the guy nobody wants to be near. Once emptied, the truck will usually deposit the contents of the tanks into a larger storage facility, usually somewhere fairly remote on the airfield itself. No idea what happens to it after that.

moku
25th Jun 2004, 13:49
Sold to the numerous catering companies. :E

VFE
25th Jun 2004, 21:06
Glad that's cleared that one up (pun intended).

Thanks folks. :)

VFE.

Memetic
25th Jun 2004, 21:57
Google has lots on "Blue Ice"

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22blue+ice%22+aircraft&meta=

And the FAA in Chicago have a dedicated web page!

http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/ord/blueice.htm

GlueBall
27th Jun 2004, 02:07
...except in the case of the A380 where liquid waste will be recycled. :uhoh: