PDA

View Full Version : access to lower galley

chrisstiles
10th Jun 2004, 00:06
Hi --

I understand that in certain configurations the larger (and older) widebodies, often have a lower galley midway along the plane - incidentally urls to diagrams/photos would be great.

How does one access the lower galley ? I presume there is a small lift to take food up and down at least as I seem to recall an incident where a stewardess was killed when she got part of her body trapped in/under the life. Is the poor bugger who is down in the lower galley restricted to staying there for the entire flight ?

Also - i assume the galley would be adjacent to the forward and aft luggage bulkheads. In this situation how does pressurisation work ?

--
chris

Notso Fantastic
10th Jun 2004, 17:07
I think because of security implications this thread should stop here! Please don't answer!

Unwell_Raptor
10th Jun 2004, 17:22
It's bound to be out there somewhere, traceable on Google.

Just search for the reports on the accident if you are that interested.

moku
10th Jun 2004, 17:58
I agree with Notso. Especially as its the first question asked on the first day of joining Pprune.

Sorry chris.

chrisstiles
11th Jun 2004, 00:29
I agree with Notso. Especially as its the first question asked on the first day of joining Pprune.

No worries. Though it does occur that were one to need to lend versimiltude to questions of this nature, one would already be a member of long standing here. Presumably someone went through this board and vetted all previous postings.

FWIW, the question originally arose over a discussion triggered by the film "Passenger 57".

But the topic is now closed, which I can sympathise with.

--
chris

Onan the Clumsy
11th Jun 2004, 22:58
That's where the ball turret gunner lives.

I thought the stories of the fun and frolics amongst the frozen food on Gulf Air were well known.

btw, I hate it when someone asks a question and we all censor ourselves for reasons of "security". I'm not saying it's the wrong reaction, but, how did we learn all the stuff we learned?

So I'll answer in the form of a question...

(1) Pressurisation? - what shape is the easiest to hold and maintain pressure, a D or an O?

(2) Do they stay there? - If they did, how would they effect egress (and ingress I suppose)?

(3) Which aircraft has, in common with Charring Cross Staion, the toilets downstairs?

chrisstiles
11th Jun 2004, 23:51
I thought the stories of the fun and frolics amongst the frozen food on Gulf Air were well known.

Presumably all that stopped when the cute(r) stewardesses moved to Emirates.

--
chris

Hostie from Hell
11th Jun 2004, 23:56
I worked on one, we were forklifted into the galley through its own door with all the catering ..locked in at the departure airport .. had to send all the meals up on a little conveyor belt, then they let us out at the destination 12 hours later ... honest
:D :D :D

Onan the Clumsy
12th Jun 2004, 02:32
Hostie While I have seen the occasional stew who looked as if she'd need a forklift to move around, I am sure that you could be presented, one handed on a cushion of raw silk.

:ok: