PDA

View Full Version : Windmilling fans - what's the best way to secure them?

Ravintola
1st Jun 2004, 15:55
Those of you working with the RB211-535C will be familiar with the mind-numbing clatter a windmilling fan creates. This windmilling also adversly affects the engine.
Other than fitting the full intake cover, are there any other permissible methods of securing the fan? I am aware of one airline that secures the fan by looping a strap around a blade. The strap is then secured by pip-pin to the inlet cowl.
Any thoughts?

FunctionedSatis
1st Jun 2004, 16:15
The only way is the approved way in the aircraft maintenance manual, if its even mentioned there, other than that damage could occur or foriegn object may be left in the intakes.

In saying that i cant find much about it in the 747 manual. Ive heard of them being chocked, but if also heard of chocs being left in there!!

Theres nothing worse than clattering fan blades!

Stu.:;)

safetypee
1st Jun 2004, 18:35
In days past when exec jets were ferried trans Atlantic (E – W), the winter kit included a long handled soft brush for the early morning snow – Reykjavik, Sondrestrom, Goose etc.
Inserting the brush handle though the fan secured the engine!

I heard on dubious authority that a 146 was three engine ferried in the same manner.

Bumz_Rush
1st Jun 2004, 19:29
can anyone tel me the official view on the Gulfstream RR engines, and the need to fit the engine covers....Bumz....

411A
2nd Jun 2004, 00:27
Oddly enough, we just recommended a G4 to a client, and you can bet your boots it will be supplied with engine covers.
To do without is, in my opinion, very foolish.

Otherwise, tie the fan blades in place with wide nylon strap, in a pinch.
Works for many operators, including short term storage.

Splat
2nd Jun 2004, 14:55
I remember seing a US military transporter with a plank of wood in the engine. I think I might have a picture somewhere, and it surprised me.

matkat
2nd Jun 2004, 17:25
At a "Well Known" icelandic airline it was done with cargo straps.