PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got Their Almanac?

VFE
28th May 2004, 16:58
Hi folks,

Now I know there're folk out there just waiting, fingers poised, ready to answer questions like this so, claiming severe laziness, I'm gonna throw this one open for you all.......

If a flight leaves London at 1200 midday on 1st June to travel to Singapore, landing at Singapore 0745 local time, how long is the flight and how far into the flight will the aircraft hit darkness?

I do have my almanac somewhere but have just strained my back looking through the cupboard for it.

Thanks for any answers!

VFE.

SLF
28th May 2004, 19:51
11h 45 mins and depends on the route :)

VFE
28th May 2004, 22:45
11hrs 45mins it is and this weeks prize goes to you SLF! Please collect your bottle of Babycham at the end of the show.

Now, assuming a rumb line, where and when will the aircraft (a 747-400) hit darkness? Another bottle of Babycham up for grabs contestants!

The scores on the board Miss Ford.......

SLF: One point.

The rest: Nil pwah.

VFE.

alexban
29th May 2004, 06:52
I'm on holiday now so I'll make the trip and answer your question,and yes ,take your bottle of babycham! mmmm..:cool:

I don't have a jeppesen available right now,and I don't know where else I can find the sunset and sunrise hours to win that bottle of yours.Hmmm.
And ,yes ,I'll have to check today's Sigwx charts.What FL you wish to fly your 747? How fast can you climb to cruise FL? Speed?
:confused:
:ok: I'll stick to my pepsi for now.
Brgds Alex

VFE
29th May 2004, 11:57
Well if the flight is taking 11hrs and 45mins you should be able to work out using the speed/distance/time triangle to approximate where over the planet it'll be assuming a rumb line track. The wind is not required nor is the speed as you have distance and time. Dunno the lat and long of EGLL or Singapore but someone must be able to look it up!

Ch Long x Sin Mean Lat ring any bells on a pilots website? :)

Using a reasonably current air almanac it should be possible to then look up the lat/long at say midpoint, and read off against the time the aircraft is over that position to see how far off sunset is at that spot. Then backtrack. Simple really. Winds? Speeds? C'maaaaaarn! :rolleyes:

I only want "approximate" folks. Wish I still had my air almanac from ATPL's!

VFE.

alexban
29th May 2004, 15:24
I was joking.
VFE : correct me if I'm wrong:
London -GMT +1
Singapore GMT + 8
So at 12 noon at lhr in singapore is 12+7=1900 LT
then you arrive at 07:45 next day local time -so (24-19)+7.45=12.45 flight hours. Did I miss something ?

You fly through 7 time zones-7*15*60=6300NM distance
6300 NM in 12.45 hrs -8.2 NM per minute (a reasonable figure)
So,for a time zone you have to fly 1hr50 min.
Checking sunset times (for ex here http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu/sunset.html ) you'll find for ex for tlv a sunset at 20:29 local.
Starting at 12 noon at lhr -at tlv you'll be at 14+ (1hr50' * 2)=17:40
At dxb (gmt+4) you'll be at 15+(1hr50'*3)= 2030 LT
Sunset for dxb is 1905 LT . So ,you'll pass sunset somewhere between this two points,over jedah.
Not used anymore with calculations,and took some figures from memory,so please excuse me if I'm wrong.
Thks for keeping my wheels running.
Brgds Alex

VFE
29th May 2004, 16:34
And this weeks top prize goes to Alex from Europe! Well done to you Alex. Remember to hide your Babycham from the ladies because they love that stuff the little horrors! :)

Seriously, that's good enough for me mate, thanks for your time. :ok:

VFE.

Thunderbug
30th May 2004, 15:29
London GMT +1
Singapore GMT + 8

London Depart 11:00z
Singapore Arrive 23:45z
Flt Time 12:45

London
Nautical sunrise 03:18z
Nautical sunset 20:40z