PDA

View Full Version : Flight Ops Inspectors AND Airline Pilots

block52
25th May 2004, 10:27
A question to all European Flight Operation Inspectors who are AT THE SAME TIME Airline Pilots: How did you manage to be accepted by an airline to fly ( a few days per month for maintaining your proficiency) and to act also as a Flight Operation Inspector in your national aviation authority ???? I am a Flight Operation Inspector of a European Civil Aviation Authority, who has been flying before as a 737 Captain for a company of the same country. But know I find it difficult to be accepted by a company, even by my previous employer. I need your expertise.

alexban
25th May 2004, 16:39
Hy .I thought there must be some convention between the CAA and some company which will allow a FOI to fly on on that comp planes,as PF.This is the case where I fly,and the FOI fly with us,few flights monthly to keep their proficiency.
I don't see why they give you dificulties in mantaining your proficiency.We are talking about just a few fights monthly I guess.
There may be some problem regarding the insurrance of that flight when having a non company man at controls,I guess.
We almost had a problem while a FOI was PF,once,and since then the FOI's where not allowed to fly for a while with us,but I think all we'll come back to normal.They are also pilots,and also need training.You must keep in mind ,though,that they fly fewer flights than the rest of the pilots,so maybe some special rostering for their flights.
As I said,all specified in a convention between the CAA and company
Brgds,
Alex

You splitter
26th May 2004, 07:51
I have to say I agree. I can't see what the problem is. We used to have a CAA FOI fly regularly with us in order to maintain proficency on type. They would attend all annual training courses and provide us with their previous 28 days duties before arriving to fly.
The only stipulation that we had was that they flew with an LTC in the RHS. This was purely because we felt that a non-employee of the company should not be 'commercially' in command of the aircraft.

We have never had a problem with the situation. I guess if you don't have anything to hide and are confident in the proceedures and systems you have in place making you a safe operation then why the reluctance to let an FOI near yur aircraft! ;)