PDA

View Full Version : Ryan PT22

Hairyplane
20th May 2004, 14:01
I have just acquired Ryan PT22 G-BTBH and soloed it for the first time at Old Warden yesterday. A very straightforward, honest aircraft that flies beautifully. It has the glide of a breeze block and an engine note that ensures lots of chuckles as you blatter through the sky.

Marvellous!

I have acquired a second crashed machine G-BPUD with it so have literally a shed load of bits.

Keen to communicate with other owners.

I heard a rumour that the Breighton machine has a damaged wing. Is this old news?

I have spare wings.

Come to Old Warden and see the new toy. Be prepared to want one.

HP.

treadigraph
20th May 2004, 14:35
The Maytag Messerschmitt! Nice one Hairyplane!

Always liked seeing them on the show circuit, your favourite Mile owner, Bob Mitchell, used to operate several PTs.

What state is 'UD in, restorable, or will you just use it for spares?

Cheers

Treadders

Ex Oggie
20th May 2004, 17:13
HP

Congrats, I have had the pleasure of having flown '854' in the past and can guarantee you will love every minute of it.

Note the dent in PUD's instrument coaming where the previous owners nose came into contact with it. Ouch!!

ATB
ExO

Man-on-the-fence
20th May 2004, 18:45
Sounds like cracking fun. The most improtant thing is will I fit in it :E

Cant wat to see her on the 6th.

Hairyplane
21st May 2004, 03:19
Hi MotF!

Your butt will fit in it - much roomier than the Maggie.

Unfortunately, the aircraft is a lot heavier than its British plywood counterpart. The Maggie will lift 2 x 16 stone blubberbutts, full fuel and still be more than 100lbs(approx.) below mauw.

The Ryan on the other hand has around 500lb only available, inclusive of fuel. In those days, 12 stones was heavy....

The lovely Nicky (phoooaaar!) has put me on a strict diet. Whilst this isn't strictly aimed at increasing the pax/ fuel options in the Ryan(!) it will help on that score.

I'll ask you the sensitive question, we'll do some calcs and hopefully go for it.

Failing that, I can find a lighter pilot for you - no problem.

Either way - you shall go to the ball. Looking forward to it my friend. You'll love it to bits.

-------

BTW - how badly injured was the pilot of G-BPUD? Is he still with us or did the crash kill him?

If he didn't join the 'Choir Invisibule' (Monty Python fans will identify!) he might want a ride in my aircraft and could provide some history on his busted machine.

I have bought 'UD in its entirety, sight unseen. However, I am told that it is restorable.

Being somewhat selfish though, I wouldn't get much for the whole thing as a project; I would probably pay more for just one 'widget' that I had just sold, than I got for the lot. (does that make sense, it is 4.00am!); These aircraft aint that rare world-wide - plenty of them in the USA.

At the moment, I have more than enough engine parts to build a second engine and have all sorts of useful airframe parts too. I am also in the fortunate position of not needing the money and having plenty of good storage space.

So, if anybody out there was stuck for a bit, I would gladly help them if I could. My plan otherwise is to identify/ label/ shelve everything at home - no room at OW.

HP

Airbedane
21st May 2004, 06:25
Hi HP,

I'm glad you started the thread. I can now fomally congratulate you on your new addition and also, thank you for letting me have a go last wednesday. As with all old aircraft, it has it's characteristics that must be respected, but all-in-all it's certainly a pleasant aircraft to fly and a great addition to your fleet at OW. It's probably just as well we had to fly it with limited fuel on board, or we'd still be up there!!

;) ;)

Man-on-the-fence
21st May 2004, 07:40
Just over 14 stone :E

I am on a diet as we speak.

Grandad Biggles
21st May 2004, 07:46
Last time I saw this was in the hanger at EGBW under restoration/repair.
There will be more than one interested party who has much feelings to see this in the air again.
However I seem to remember from the conversation I had with the previous owner at the time, it does have some quirks.

I wonder if the radio is up to the excellent standards of your other flying machines.

Orange Arm Waver
21st May 2004, 07:56
Nice one HP.

Should think Tony & co were sad to see her go?
Nice to see she'll be out and about again...

Last time I saw her fly was at TW for the VAC do last September (where she was used in the centenary photo as the air component.)

I recall that her sister off the production line "855" is alive and well in NZ too.

OAW

LowNSlow
21st May 2004, 09:32
Nice one HP, the Ryan has been a favourite of mine since I was a kid.

BeauMan
21st May 2004, 11:30
Well done HP! I take it your desire for a Storch is on the back burner now then...?

John Farley
21st May 2004, 15:59
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/Ryan_at_Dunsfold_15_June_85.jpg

Ex Oggie
21st May 2004, 17:22
BTW - how badly injured was the pilot of G-BPUD? Is he still with us or did the crash kill him?

Yes, still with us as far as I know, but I would imagine he always tightens his shoulder straps now. It was a few years ago but if I remember, it was winter 1992. Engine failure in Norfolk somewhere. I seem to remember that either the gear dug in, or it hit a low wall in the forced landing. It was survivable, but not for the airframe.

Hairyplane
22nd May 2004, 08:16
Storch - very keen on the aircraft - there isn't one for sale anywhere to my knowledge. I think I'll stop at 3 vintage aircraft at the moment otherwise we'll have to stop work on the house to keep them all flying.

Tony was sad to see it go but the net result was a grin once he received the filthy lucre.

I have invited Tony to continue flying it.

It will hopefully be displayed on the 6th - unlikely by me though.

HP

JDK
22nd May 2004, 10:38
Great news HP,

Technically it's the wrong engine, but a set of Dutch East Indies triangles and (for the really brave) a set of floats could be fitted?!

It is possible to land on grasswith flots. Not sure what Chris Morris and the CAA would have to say about it though!

Hairyplane
23rd May 2004, 13:18
Hi JDK,

Not sure what you mean by 'wrong engine.'

Floats??? Nah!!

Mind you, I had a go in a Teal amphibian in Sweden and that was a hoot. I remembered to shut the window on my second water landing...........

HP.

JDK
23rd May 2004, 14:08
Sorry, I was being unintentionally obscure!

It's the right engine for your plane (which is great!) but the Dutch machines were inline engines rather than radias.

Aerohack (among others) has the full sp on the differences...

Cheers

James K

John Farley
23rd May 2004, 15:55
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/PT_Flight.jpg

canadair
24th May 2004, 23:31
since you guys have shifted this to the STA to a degree, is there anyone in the UK currently flying, restoring, or building a new STA?
The STA, is I think one of the prettiest aircraft ever, such a great example of 30`s art deco metalwork.
There is a set of plans available, drawn by a fellow named Ev Cassagneres, and at least 1 replica has been built, in North Carolina, by a fellow named Glenn Moore, and it is a fantastic reproduction! ( wish I could actually figure out how to post a picture)
but I am wondering just what interest there is amongst UK antique enthusiasts?
as mentioned the aircraft does have some good European connection, in particular the Dutch, and would be spectacular on floats.
anyway, if anyone else is interested in them by all means let me know, I have just aquired a substantial amount of an STA.
now if I could find floats! :D

treadigraph
25th May 2004, 07:59
No STAs in the UK so far as I know... but I'd love to be corrected. Lovely aeroplanes.

Hairyplane
25th May 2004, 09:14
You got me worried there for a minute JDK!

I agree that the Menasco-engined STA is a work of art, as rare as rocking horse poo and yes, I want one (theres a surprise...).

With plenty of PT22's out there (I have a rebuildable crashed one for example) I wonder if there is a significant commonality of parts? They do look similar.

I think we might see my 22 displayed at OW on the 6th, however that decision isn't mine of course. One thing is certain - it won't be me. Although I have soloed it I need to get some time on type. At least a 'proper' Shuttleworth pilot will present it far better than I can.

The good news is that the Shuttleworth engineers have given it the once over and have given me the thumbs up on a good machine.

Reading through the article earlier made me chuckle - 'The Ryan is for slim, fit young men'. I ain't any of those and had no problem in flying it! I have some good mates a lot lardier than me and they will be invited to fly it too.

HP

Stampe
25th May 2004, 10:58
HP you can,t possibly be referring to me surely??.When I look in the mirror I still see slim (well )almost.Must say the armchair in the Falcon is very me though.Looking forward to another type though,really like that MS317 though!!.

LowNSlow
25th May 2004, 12:00
HP I seem to remember from a back to back airtest (can't remember the comic) between the STA and the P-22 that, despite their basic similarity, there was no commonality of parts whatsoever.

treadigraph
25th May 2004, 12:01
Hairy, Dave Unwin wrote an article in Pilot a few years ago in which he flew both the PT-22 and STA ... So far as I recall there is little commonaility. Will try and put my hands on my copy...

Edited to say "Snap!"

canadair
25th May 2004, 12:04
HP:
regards commonality between the PT 22 and the STA.
To be honest, I am not positive, however I do have some info on conversions, I know of at least two aircraft in California that were converted from the Kinner to the Menasco years ago, and the gear changed to resemble the STA as well, but I believe the 22 may be an overall bigger aircraft. The span of the STA is 30 ft even, the length 21`5, the tail height 62 2/16th, and the gear track 66" as a comparison.
You are right, the STA is a small! aircraft in terms of the cockpit.
But it just looks soooo right sitting on the ground.
I have a set of outer wing panels, complete tail surfaces, fuel tank, and many small components from an STA, so it would be interesting to see just what is compatible. I also have the full drawing set.

Hairyplane
26th May 2004, 07:24
Hi Canadair!

Are you assembling bits with a view to building one? Are there any fuselages anywhere? What is the history of your wings? All very interesting stuff.

(The things people have in their sheds....! I bet you dont know of a set of Miles Magister wings anywhere?)

VBR

HP

canadair
26th May 2004, 12:05
HP:
The wings, and tail are from a Florida based aircraft, but between them do not constitute an identity, although I am still working on getting the details. I have various other STA parts, but had always intended to build the replica, as I would not use the Menasco engine, the Lom is much better and user friendly. The drawings are superb!
But the problem is the PFA, there is just no easy way to build this aircraft in the UK, since it would be the 1st as a replica and I am not sure I have the energy to go through the process the PFA requires:ugh:
I shall continue to collect parts, and we shall see.
The fuselage is actually deceptively easy, in fact the entire aircraft is basically a homebuilt, there is one overly complex area, the trim system, and the gear is not simple to make, but overall it is a pretty easy aircraft. Theres no compound curves, however there is a fair bit of welding involved, and one fairly large steel fuse bulkhead, the rest being aluminium.

treadigraph
27th May 2004, 07:48
The Pilot article was (dredging memory from 24 hours ago) August 1999 or August 2000 according to the test flight list I checked yesterday in a later issue. Haven't managed to put my hands on it yet, which dictates a visit to the bowels of my loft...

Dave Unwin posts on PPRuNe I think...

Dave Unwin
28th May 2004, 09:31
Hi Hairy, I have indeed flown both a Ryan PT-22 and STA, courtesy of John Richards of Santa Paula, CA. John assured me that there is absolutely no commonality between the two types at all (except, of course, that they're both Ryans and fabulous!)
Can send you a photocopy of the article if you'd like it.
Cheers, Dave