PDA

View Full Version : Flaps Drive EICAS

Frying Dutchman
12th May 2004, 11:51
Hi,

What is the easiest and fastest way to identity where the flaps are stuck between which flap settings? For eg in the 777, bet 1 and 5, 5 and 15, and so. Thanks in advance.

Regards
FD

Plastic Penguin
12th May 2004, 12:01
from checking my manual..although I should know this since I fly them... expanded display will be shown when flaps are in secondary mode and alternate mode. Each wing is shown sepaerately and ... all subdivision marks are shown in Alternate mode so you can see where they are.

hope this helps

gonadz
12th May 2004, 12:27
Try selecting CMC on your free CDU (If you have one). Then select "Eicas Maint Page", then "Flt Cont", then "Display".

This should show you the position of all moveable flap surfaces.

Works for the 744, not familiar with the 777 yet ;)

B73567AMT
12th May 2004, 20:55
On the B777, you select the FLAP/SLAT Maintenance Page for display on the PFD System thru the CDU. I guess it is similar if not identical to the B747-400 (Have no experience on the B747-400).

SuperRanger
13th May 2004, 02:46
problem!

you can't access the CMC when the acft is below 10,000ft agl (at least not on ours).

even so, i dont think it is procedurally correct to access the CMC. i think Plastic Penguin has it right. the way the system indications were designed, there shouldn't require any messing with the CMC. all necessary indication will be presented on the instrument displays.

dutchman, once you have everything sorted out, for ADDITIONAL info (if required), CMC MAY be referred (absolutely no mention of CMC in boeing's procedures, just my own idea). but it must not be used as a primary indication source for your malfunction.

also, accessing CMC by an unfamiliar crew member may distract him/her from their primary duties of providing support to handling pilot as well as monitoring the flight path.

SR

Frying Dutchman
13th May 2004, 05:08
Hi,

I guess this prob will usually occur during flap retraction on T/O or during approach, so if there is a high workload, there won't be time to fiddle with the FMC.

The 777 flaps/slats alternate display sucks. You can see the flaps selected but you can't determine they are stuck between which stages during flap retraction when you just keep on commanding the PNF to retract whenever the speed is within limit.

Some suggest looking at the speed tape on the PFD, while some suggest others. I m quite confused now ;p

FD

gonadz
13th May 2004, 09:50
SR is absolutely correct.

The CMC is basically an engineering tool and the interrogation of its data is never required by Boeing as a diagnosis aid.

The data is nevertheless available. Goes without saying that the safe handling and correct drills should always override interrogation of either the CMC or the system synoptics for that matter.

Hope this helps.

:)