PDA

View Full Version : Mme

onion
1st May 2004, 12:54
Some news about Teesside.

A Spanair MD83 will be based at Teesside for the next month to take on the mytravel services. Not sure what happens after that.

bmi are to replace all f100 with larger aircraft and add a 4th flight a day.

Eastern to replace the J31 with a J41.

New handling agent to start.

Does the fact that Thomson basing an aircraft mean that Thomsonfly may come as well? Some rumours have suggested that Peel have signed a deal with Thomson along these lines.

Has the fact that Leeds and Newcastle approached their capacities in the summer meant that companies will now see Teesside as a serious alternative now?

Does anyone have any clues on what bmibaby's winter destinations will be from Teesside?

Does anyone know if Mytravel will have an aircraft based at Teesside next year?

GARDENER
1st May 2004, 19:05
Spanair's "based" A/C is due to be an MD throughout the S'04 season.......but as you may be aware things change!
MYT. Think of it from a business perspective. Just pulled out of MME given up the crew room and the offices-crew that came to MME for the summer are simply staying at their permanent bases ie NCL/LBA.....for the time being. LBA due to close but this is another story. They are reducing the fleet/capacity and it makes sense not to recruit x amount of seasonal crew for several reasons. Once MYT are back on their feet this may become an option but I think back to basics for the next few years. Remember it's not a simple thing sending an ac in as ops have to think of many things including the catering, bars, transporting crew, to name a few.
Spoke to a BM tecchie who said the F100's are due to op some BM regional routes and the 319 should be at MME but like most airlines BM will give MME whatever is left in the fleet! Joking aside Airbus should be operating all mainline.
New handling agent? Is there the demand...in a word NO. I believe you may have heard about the agent setting up to handle VIP flights (private jets)

As always I wait and stand to be corrected!

mmeteesside
3rd May 2004, 07:16
Seems JKK are off to a great start here! lol the Faro flight is due at 1000 this morning, just a little over 10hrs late!

well done JKK!

mmeteesside
MME Movements (http://www.mmemovements.tk)

johnwalton
3rd May 2004, 10:53
It's now due at 1400! I'm guessing the other 2 flights today (Reus & Las Palmas) are going to be seriously delayed to, given that the Reus flight was due to return to MME at 1205....

mmeteesside
3rd May 2004, 11:06
JKK now due 1400, just a tad over 14hrs late now ;)

mmeteesside

Pembo330
3rd May 2004, 14:52
Well the Faro flight arrived at around 3.30 with the Reus flight expected at a similar time. Does anyone know what happened? Did a sub aircraft come in?

In answer to the other questions:

I don't think MYT will be back next year, though the Thomson brochure shows a Faro flight next year operated by MYT with a based-type slot.

The LHR flights will be a mix of 100,319 & 145s over the Summer. Where did you hear about the 4th flight; I hadn't heard that?

No news on winter for baby yet, the question is will we keep the based 737?

nclfan
3rd May 2004, 15:03
I think you will kepp the a/c but get no more for quite a long time !

onion
3rd May 2004, 16:16
Pembo i have it on very good authority that bmi are seriously considering a 4th flight a day, partly because there has been a few complaints over the new timings.
Also have been told that the F100 will be dropped and the A319 will take over completely with no 145 at all. The only reason for these last year was that they would then do the Jersey that have been dropped by bmi.

nclfan/Pembo baby will probably keep the aircraft as there is now several based crews at Teesside with most living in the area. The question is will the timetable include fewer flights out of Teesside with 'w' to cardiff and east midlands, or the same amount of flights to more winter destinations such as more Geneva flights.

nclfan unless Newcastle doesn't sort it's shortage of stands they will have very few extra based aircraft and so Teesside may pick up extra traffic.

Many at Teesside are amazed with how well the baby flights are performing and are asking the question 'where are all the extra passengers coming from'

mmeman
3rd May 2004, 21:15
Excellent news about a 4th flight a day to LHR. The timing of the first flight from LHR does seem a bit early at 7.00am and then there is a huge gap until the next flight. Good to hear that the Baby flights are doing well too.

I see the Spanair Reus flight is due in at 22.15 now, only 10 and a bit hours late. Great start to the Spanair flights! If Spanair are only here for a month what happens after that?? On the Airtours website they are still JKK flight numbers in July.

I have also seen the Airtours Summer 2005 preview brochure, and the flights from Teesside are pretty much exactly the same as this year with Spanair as the based airline, apart from one change, instead of Alicante on a Saturday morning it is Costa Brava which I suppose is Gerona. Don't know how accurate these preview brochures are.

As for baby next winter, maybe Toulouse and Munich as well as geneva again, as they were 2 destinations for baby from Nema last winter. M aybe Paris CDG. Maybe they will also fly to their new UK airport LGW;) Just speculation.

nclfan 'I think you will kepp the a/c but get no more for quite a long time' Why?? Just wondering?

no, no, no
4th May 2004, 10:48
onion - like other posts I am very curious how you hear this information!!!!! Are they really adding a 4th flight????? I would have though that, considering it's not on sale, and to the commercial sensitivity over changes that happen, that the only people who would know would be bmi themselves, and the airport!!! And surely no-one in them companies would give away company secrets!!!!!

I've always wondered where these start.

However, a 4th does make a bit of sense, ignoring the first flight (which I thought would have been good for business people???), consdeiring that NCL has 7 a day to LHR and 5 to LGW with BA , not counting the easy flights to STN!!! (correct me if I'm wrong on those)

Pembo330
4th May 2004, 11:26
I still think the 4th flight must be at rumour stage. The obvious question being where does the extra LHR slot come from?

JKK are here at MME all Summer until October. The only day they don't operate is a Tuesday. Good job really, they can catch up on the weekend's delays!

Next year looks like being hectic (by our standards) with two based charter aircraft (BY & JKK) in addition to the low cost routes of baby!

ALLMCC
4th May 2004, 12:15
Have heard that WW will be scrapping MME - BFS in the near future due to unacceptably poor loads - any truth in this?

Pembo330
4th May 2004, 12:35
I know the load factors are poor but have heard nothing of the route being scrapped.

Likely, but probably not until the end of the summer season.

HOODED
4th May 2004, 13:06
I believe Jet2's LBA/BFS is not doing particularly well either, in fact it's probably their worst route with LF regularly below 70%. They are however competing with FlyBE to city.

holgate
4th May 2004, 13:51
This is my first post guys so please bear with me!!!

Shame about baby belfast flights,had friends who have used the service and they say the aircraft is never even half full,maybe air-wales could take over the route with there atr,s?

Just hope the other routes are performing well,woul love to see a Paris cdg route from MME,and maybe a route to germany,could germanwings try a cologne-teesside now they are co-operating with baby?

Are the bmi A319,s now on the LHR? seen a few A320,s recently fly over my house on the 8am arrival.

Hopefully good times are ahead for MME, with the terminal expansion and some new routes things can only get better.

:D

mmeteesside
4th May 2004, 14:57
The MME-LHR is planned to be all-A319 in the future, from around July I think, but for now it is A320 on the first arrival (0800) and a mix of A319/F100 on the others.

It would be good if Germanwings would start CGN-MME with their A319's, also I wouldn't be surprised if Baby let Air Wales operate the BFS route, it performing very bad, with load factors for the Jan + Feb both around 30%.

mmeteesside

onion
6th May 2004, 16:30
no, no, no- I can't comment on where i get the information. Although the information is correct more often than not otherwise I wouldn't post it.

In reference to the Belfast march's figures give 37% not great but improving. I also know that recently they have had loads of 60+ pax. They need to bite the bullet and put on a second service a day to Belfast to compete properly with both Newcastle and Leeds, and get the timings correct with a morning and evening service. One service a day at midday is no good to the business man who wants to fly out, do a days work and get home all in one day.

ALLMCC
7th May 2004, 09:02
The front page of the May issue of NI Travel News has a report that Flybe are planning routes from BHD to Teesside and Manchester and possibly either Norwich or Cambridge. An announcement will be made in the next few weeks. If the MME goes ahead it will be interesting to see how WW react as Flybe will be targeting business passengers and time their flights accordingly. Arguably the Q400 would be a more suitable aircraft for this route.

Additionally, the Manchester & Teesside will see Flybe in direct competition with WW on two of their four routes from BFS and could spell the end of BACX on the BHD - MAN, sadly the only remaining BA service in NI.

holgate
7th May 2004, 13:17
If flybe do start BHD-MME you can kiss baby goodbye on this route.
DASH8 would be ideal,say two round trips a day,morning and evening,appeal to both business and liesure travellers.
Maybe its a blessing in disguise for baby,they could start a new route to CDG for example.
Having visited belfast last year for a weekend,(and what a weekend!),flew from the "toon" with easyjet,returned with flybe,
must say i prefered BHD to BFS,great little airport only 5 mins from the city centre.Both out/return flights were full so there is a market out there.:ok:

Pembo330
7th May 2004, 13:46
More good news for Teesside if the rumour is true! :ok:

Tommyinyork
3rd Jun 2004, 17:32
Yipeee im flying on a mD83 havent been on one since with Airtours in 1992 to Menorca from Birmingham. Does anyone know any information on the Spainair ones.

mmeteesside
4th Jun 2004, 08:56
Air Atlanta 747 due back from Lourdes today.... was -ATD last week, but that's away in Oz now doing the Olympic Torch Relay, so will be a different one this week!

mmeteesside

Re-Heat
4th Jun 2004, 14:46
I had tried to use Teeside in the past, but when I was up North there was no way of getting there without a car as the airport station had closed, with trains being fairly irregular there anyway. Has anyone any idea if they plan to reopen the station at all? Frankly even with the slow Metro, Newcastle is always going to win on the public transport front if located in between.

mmeteesside
4th Jun 2004, 15:24
One train per week stops at the station (every saturday morning I think) in each direction, I think the reason being that it is so far from the terminal. They could set up a minibus/bus service to the station from the terminal.
The other way of getting to the airport is by bus, with a bus every hour from Darlington, and a bus every hour from Middlesbrough. These buses could be extended to serve the rail station.

HTH
mmeteesside

onion
15th Jun 2004, 14:37
Teesside - Heathrow

Better connected Jun 15 2004

Karen Mclauchlan, Evening Gazette

Teesside's air link to London was today given a vote of confidence as operator bmi announced an expansion of the route.

The company is adding a fourth daily flight to the timetable of the region's connection with the capital.

The new lunchtime connection, which will be up an running by the end of October, will increase capacity on the route by 37.5pc.

The news comes just weeks after bmi said it was replacing its 101-seater aircraft on the route with a 130-seater plane.

Teesside Airport's managing director, Hugh Lang today welcomed the increased commitment from bmi.

"This is excellent news for our business community and further proof of the airline's continued confidence in this important route."

Fears had flared for the future of the link after bmi cut its daily services from Teesside to Heathrow from five to three flights in 2000.

But now from October 31 a total of four lights will operate daily between Teesside and London.

Adrian Parkes, bmi commercial director said: "This improved schedule reinforces our commitment to the Teesside-Heathrow route, the longest established route on the bmi network. The extra flights will provide a better regular daily schedule to and from the capital that will be of enormous benefit to business and leisure travellers alike."

The news was also welcomed today by the region's business leaders.

Alistair Arkley, chairman of the Tees Valley Partnership and chairman of Billingham-based pub group New Century Inns, said: "I'm delighted by the news. This is a key lunchtime flight - which has to be a very good sign for business.

"It's very good news for anyone with connections with the region."

Seats are on sale now with fares starting from as low as £38 one-way, including all taxes and charges, when booked online at flybmi.com.

Richard Whitehouse, commercial manager at Teesside Airport, added: "The ability to fly to our capital city and the world's busiest international airport is a tremendous asset to this region."

When they take off

Daily flight schedule (timings to be confirmed) effective October 31

Teesside - Heathrow:

BD331 - depart 06:45, arrive 07:55

BD333 - depart 08:50, arrive 10:05

BD335 - depart 13:25, arrive 14:25 (new flight)

BD339 - depart 18:10, arrive 19:20

Heathrow - Teesside

BD332 - depart 07:00, arrive 08:05

BD334 - depart 11:30, arrive 12:40 (new flight)

BD338 - depart 16:25, arrive 17:30

BD340 - depart 20:00, arrive 21:05

I told you all this would happen.:ok:

holgate
15th Jun 2004, 14:54
Great news for MME.

Now all we need is KLM to add an additional Amsterdam, say about 1800-ish!!

How is the baby doing?, is the belfast route getting dropped?, will flybe step in and take over from BHD?

Anybody?????????????????

:D

mmeteesside
15th Jun 2004, 16:33
Great news for Teesside, I must say, it's been coming ever since they introduced the A319/320 to the route!
Hope the Flybe gang start BHD-MME, just so baby can give that up and concentrate on long-haul (compared to BFS!)

mmeteesside

mmeteesside
17th Jun 2004, 15:34
Baby are reported to be adding Cork and Paris CDG from Teesside soon.

mmeteesside

Tommyinyork
19th Jun 2004, 10:23
Just wondering which MD83 is based at Teesside at the moment.
Is there a difference between the MD82 and MD83 or the MD87 or MD83.
Also wondering if Spaniar have used an A321 or A320 yet????

mmeteesside
19th Jun 2004, 11:01
The based MD83 is EC-FTS at the moment, the difference between the MD82 and MD83 I don't know, but the MD87 is a lot shorter than the MD82/3.....sort of like a B736 to a B738.

HTH
mmeteesside

CentreFix25
19th Jun 2004, 11:07
MD83 has a longer range, possibly increased take-off weight.

CF.

Tommyinyork
19th Jun 2004, 11:09
How long has EC-FTS been there, will it be there on the 25th June. When did the Spanair A320 operate ????

mmeteesside
19th Jun 2004, 11:36
EC-FTS will probably go today....I think they swop on a saturday. The A320 operates the 3143/4 on a friday morning from/to PMI.

mmeteesside

Tommyinyork
19th Jun 2004, 12:55
Howcome they seem to swap the aircraft quite abit. Just wondering if Teesside has an air bridge or do you have to walk to the plane or get one of them buses.
Also which runway is normally active and do planes depart towards the north east or the south west.

GARDENER
19th Jun 2004, 13:10
I would guess A/C change is possibly for maintenance reasons as although there is a Spanair techie at MME what one man can do is limited ie no huge range of spares. Toy town International, Airbridge ha ha! Lucky to get a bus if stuck out on stand 1 in the rain. Usually the charters are a short walk from the terminal.
R23 is usually used but in light winds the option for landing traffic on 05 is available, subject to traffic, as you come in straight from GASKO.

Tommyinyork
19th Jun 2004, 17:55
Does the flight path into Teesside mean i get to fly other York and the east coast such as towns like Whitby and Scarobrough

Tommyinyork
21st Jun 2004, 05:13
Which MD83 is now based at Teesside ?

onion
26th Aug 2004, 21:37
I said a while back that Eastern where to put a J41 on the Aberdeen route and now they have announced it.

Two of the four rotations a day are to be done by the J41 with a new Sunday service, also done by the J41. Ok not exactly a complete upgrade of the route to J41 like I said.

Along with this I was also right about the expanded Heathrow service. 'no no no' do u believe me now? You have queried my information in the past. I don't post items on here unless im sure of my facts.

aeulad
27th Aug 2004, 09:17
The new Sunday service originates in Humberside, so is a HUY-MME-ABZ routing, back to the days of AirUK!!!

Also, the Humberside schedule is do go down to 4 times daily with an all J41 operation, so no early out of ABZ. Will Bmi take the route on?

Regards

Mike

Pembo330
27th Aug 2004, 11:01
Apparently, the Britannia aircraft next year will be 737-800!

Check out the Teesside Airport website.

mmeman
27th Aug 2004, 21:39
I don't think Britannia have any 737-800's at the moment. I guess some are joining next year? Could it be the 3 they used to have?

Also I read in the press about the threat of Britannia pulling out of local airports if they don't cut their charges, and I think it was the managing director of Britannia used the example of basing an aircraft at Teesside at the expense of Newcastle. Are Britannia cutting back at Newcastle next summer?

Oh yes and 21st September it will be goodbye Teesside , and hello Durham Tees Valley! :eek:

GARDENER
28th Aug 2004, 07:09
I think you will find it is not a Britannia G reg a/c to be based at MME. Therefore do not expect to see the 800 in Thompson livery.

CentreFix25
28th Aug 2004, 08:27
No reduction in capacity at NCL, as far as I know. Wonder what the chances of the MME machine being a Swedish one? http://www.airliners.net/open.file/624512/L/

Pembo330
28th Aug 2004, 10:53
In the response to this thread in Keypub; a suggestion has been made that AB were getting a 752; could it be a simple swap?

GARDENER
28th Aug 2004, 16:08
It has been suggested by Brit crew that it will be Swedish reg a/c

Tommyinyork
3rd Sep 2004, 18:23
Maybe BY will bring back two 737-800s perminantly, one for Teesside and one to cover MYT charters at LBA next summer.

Mooncrest
4th Sep 2004, 13:13
Welcome back Tommy. Thought you'd gone for good.

I doubt we'll see British registered Britannia/Thomson 737-800s again. They operated one or two summer seasons ex-LBA a few years ago and I gather the gaffers weren't too impressed with their performance. I'm pretty certain the engineers didn't like them all that much either (dodgy avionics I believe). Mind, they probably weren't as bad as the TransAer A320s from 1998-99 :ugh:

In winter 2001-2002 a Swedish registered Britannia AB 737-800 operated a TFS flight on a W thru LBA. Assuming Britannia's foreign partners are still operating these aircraft, then this is what we may expect. However, it's probably a bit early to call.

johnwalton
4th Sep 2004, 13:52
I don't think MYT would contract out a based aircraft to BY. Much cheaper to use a foreign airline like Spanair. It would be more likely that MYT would just buy seats on existing LBA BY flights and complement this with a non-based programme.

BombardierCR7
5th Sep 2004, 02:14
tommy...
The MyTravel group are looking for a 149 seater based out of LBA for S05. If one comes up it is unlikely to be BY or JKK. So with that information the candidates are slim...bearing in mind which airline want's to commit contractually to a tour operator who could be bancrupt in a couple of months.

Don't forget the TUI AG would take great pleasure in MYT going to the wall, so are not going to do them any favours by giving them an aircraft are they?

Tommyinyork
5th Sep 2004, 10:07
Well BMI could base an A319 at LBA for MYT if there looking at a small aircraft, or theres always Spanair, they have a few 717s and an MD87.

shlittlenellie
5th Sep 2004, 17:01
The Britannia aircraft will be a Swedish registered 737-800 in Britannia colours.

Tommyinyork
5th Sep 2004, 17:10
Will this 737-800 have winglets?

Would LBA ever have a 737-800 based again, or do BY prefer using the 757 from there.
Talking about the 737-800, i have to say its not the best of planes too fly on and a 757 is much much better.

mmeteesside
6th Sep 2004, 15:39
If flybe start co-operating with bmibaby soon (as they're rumoured to be doing) maybe we'll see flybe on MME-BHD after all? Are they waiting until maybe December to annouce it for the summer?

mmeteesside

lizsdad
8th Sep 2004, 13:13
according to the local paper Ryan Air are going to put Teesside to Rome on the timetable:ok:

Pembo330
8th Sep 2004, 13:47
Have you got a link to that story?

I'd like to see that one!

Flightmapping
8th Sep 2004, 13:49
http://www.ryanair.com/press/2004/sep/rte-en-080904-3.html

Announced today

Pembo330
8th Sep 2004, 13:55
Found the answer myself.

The daily Teesside to Rome flight starts in January.

Link here:

http://www.teessideairport.com/devel/press/index.shtml#story18

mmeteesside
8th Sep 2004, 19:16
Great news for Teesside! Ryanair seem to think better of Teesside rather than Newcastle, is it getting a little too cramped at NCL, or is MME cheaper?

mmeteesside

CentreFix25
8th Sep 2004, 21:23
Price wise NCL and MME are similar (both will do almost anything to get the business). I suspect the reason RYR chose MME is because they will probably get better loads out of MME, tap into the market that live nearer to MME and would prefer not to have to travel as far as NEW (I think i explained that ok?). I've never seen NCL full or close to it, there is always somewhere to park - so thats not a problem.

mmeteesside
15th Oct 2004, 17:44
The ski flights to Lyon are being shown in the Thomson ski brochure as out at 1430, back at 1330, which is entirely wrong! They don't even show it as a BY flight :p

Are the correct times still out in the morning after positioning down from Newcastle, then back about 1400 and position back to Newcastle? ;)

mmeteesside

onion
13th Nov 2004, 14:57
Some rumours about MME.

They believe that this years passenger figures will be close to 900,000. Next year though with the all the extra traffic that is hoped to come on line the figure is hoped to be closer to 1.3million. This will then trigger the building of a new terminal along side the existing one, not sure what will happen to the old one.

SWBKCB
13th Nov 2004, 18:19
0.9m to 1.3m is quite a rise - what are all these extra passengers going to be flying on? what new services will there be compared to this year?

onion
13th Nov 2004, 23:48
Well there is the extra Heathrow a day, a larger aircraft on the Aberdeen plus one extra flight a week, a few extra ski flights in January, 20 odd flights by bmibaby this winter season instead of the 9 last winter, Ryanair flights to Rome from January (will keep easy on their toes up at Newcastle) and a based aircraft from Thomson for next summer to do an increased holiday season over last summer. That lot is all confirmed. On top of that there is the rumour of the second bmibaby aircraft that could potentially add another 290,000 (although more likely to be in the region of 160,000-200,000) to the increases above.