PDA

View Full Version : birdstrikes-when do you return???

RUDAS
29th Apr 2004, 11:29
i've been fortunate never yet to have had a birdstrike,but a lot of my colleagues have.now on a large acft like a 747,when you suspect a birdstrike,you call up the airfield after dep to check the rwy,but at what point and under which circumstances do you make the decision to ignore the birdstrike and proceed to destination,or alternatively,to return to the field?

obviously,this is in a case where no evident damage is indicated on the instruments.

look forward to hearing your thoughts...:cool:

keel beam
29th Apr 2004, 23:02
How about tyre bursts? I heard of a recent flight that felt a "bump" on take off, all systems OK. ATC reported tyre debris on the runway. Fortunately when the aircraft arrived at its destination and was inspected it was found to be OK and had not suffered any damage..... Another story I heard, a few years back a B747 reported that on climb out a bump was felt together with vibration. The vibration ceased once the flaps were fully retracted. The crew continued to their destination. On inspection the flying panel (on top of the wing) had come off and caused considerable damage to the flaps. Did these crew make the right decision?:confused:

lomapaseo
30th Apr 2004, 01:46
Seems to me we covered this very same subject only a few days ago.

No sense in wasting more bandwidth, just do a search

Bealzebub
1st May 2004, 00:50
If there was "no evident damage" what would you be returning for ? To collect the feathers or something ? :confused: