PDA

View Full Version : No Anti ice on the tail?

jau
28th Apr 2004, 16:35
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me why aircraft do not need anti ice on the fin and horizontal stabilizer? The LE of the wings and engines need it, so why not the tail?
Cheers
jau

square leg
28th Apr 2004, 17:30
Not all A/C are the same with regards to airframe anti/de-icing.

Jets and Props are quite different too.

Non-critical LIFT devices don't need anti-icing (AI). For example the A320 (like you probably noticed) only has wing/engine anti-icing (WAI/EAI). The tail is not critical.

On all A/C the vertical stabiliser will probably never be anti-iced (to my knowlegde).

Most T-tail A/C will have anti-icing on the horizontal stabiliser. Here the lift device is more critical to flight.

Then the smaller the aircraft is, (thinner wing profile & slower models) the more critical it is to ice build-up.

It also depends on how the tail-plane/elevtor is actuated (hydraulic or servo tabs).

With servo tabs, things become critical with ice build up, to such an extent that safety is compromised if not kept clean of ice.

That's when you get severe pitch oscilations.

Just a few thoughts.

Flap40
28th Apr 2004, 21:45
On all A/C the vertical stabiliser will probably never be anti-iced (to my knowlegde).

Err......F27, F50, 748, ATP, C160, PA34.......etc etc

The 146 has a sort of de iced fin since the pipe to the tailplane runs up the inside of the leading edge.

Anti-ice
28th Apr 2004, 21:51
Hey - I'm always on someones tail ;) :p

square leg
28th Apr 2004, 21:52
I am glad that I learned something new today. Thank you Flap40 :ok:

But I still think that a PA34 does NOT have ANTI-ice, more likely de-ice boots.