27th Apr 2004, 12:55
hi gazeem,

in Portugese:

good morning - BOM DIA
good afternoon - BOA TARDE
goog evening - BOA NOITE

Hi - OLÁ
Goodby - ADEUS

common thing to say is " Lisboa approach, BOA TARDE ( if afternoon, otherwise one of the others);) and then proceed as usual

when leaving the freq. make all your comms. and in the end just before your callsign ADEUS, BOA TARDE ( or one of the others)

" ............. thank you ( obrigado) ADEUS ,BOA TARDE"

RUDAS
27th Apr 2004, 13:15
good on you mate,theres nothing i like more than hearing someone making an effort to greet/say goodbye to someone in their language on the air.Really shows professional courtesy.Well done!

If you ever come down to South Africa,hello is 'Goeie Dag'/'Goeie Naand' and goodbye is 'Totsiens'.:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Apr 2004, 07:29
Unless you're confident, don't take any advice from "well-meaning" colleagues 'cos as sure as God made little green apples they'll have you!

1. Chum of mine who thought he was the UK's gift to the French language wished an Air France crew a good day and the pilot replied: "Please say that in English so we can understand".

2. Another controller tried to convince a colleague that he should greet a foreign crew in their own language. The guy finally accepted the advice and said the words he had been given, only to be met with stunned silence. What he'd greeted them with was something like "Good morning Jodrell Banker".

3. A delicious sounding lady on an Arabic airline called me one morning so I simply had to respond with the only 2-3 Arabic words I could remember, whereupon she went into a very lengthy reply. I don't know to this day if she was admonishing me or trying desperately to get my phone number. I've fantasised ever since that it was the latter.