PDA

View Full Version : General info

Adie101
19th Apr 2004, 15:04
Hi

I am a newbie here so please apologise for the questions. I am looking into getting my JAA CPL, and so I am trying to get a feel of what work is out there, I am getting the feel that work is rather thin. Can anyone give me any advice over how I can get up my time, after getting my Lic. I see alot of people get in to instructing first and then move on from there. Is there any work in the freight industry for a new pilot? if so what companies should I be chasing after.

Any help you could give me would be really useful.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Adie

Ex Oggie
19th Apr 2004, 18:48
Adie

Best suggestion is do a thorough search in the Wannabe forums, have a good read, and if you have any specific questions that haven't been asked, post in those forums. Pretty much everything has been covered at some point on Pprune, and you will be amazed at the amount of info in there. As far as getting a job is concerned, it depends on a whole range of factors from age and experience to which country you want to work in.

Sorry for the brief answer, but wanted to point you in the right direction before you posted in those forums.

Best of luck
ExO

GlueBall
19th Apr 2004, 21:05
In the USA the usual minimum experience requirements to fly PIC in the single engine turboprop C208 (Caravan) are 1200 fixed-wing flying hours and a CPL with an Instrument rating.

coopervane
23rd Apr 2004, 15:37
My advice is go and do it first and worry about getting a job later.

When you have the required licence, then get streetwise as to working your way into a job. The best way to do this is from the inside. Its no good looking in the back of "Flight" every week in the hope that the dream job will fall into your lap.

A good way is to try and get a job in "ops" or some other admin position with a small to medium size carrier. There are many stewards, ops and ramp guys out there flying as pilots who were at the right place at the right time.

Its no good listening to the media gloom or what yer mates are saying. Its an ever changing scene and there are jobs out there that are never advertised.

Go down the cold calling route as well. Lots of companies may be quietly recruiting and you may drop lucky again.

Freight is a good place to start and if you don't mind working at night,it can be tons better than the charter game.

A flying instructor job may not make you a millionaire but will fund your hour building and give you some good experience. Airlines do take instructors but again, its being at the right club at the right time.

Money is always an issue. You need to work while you are learning so what better than to get a job in aviation on the ground.

I hope this is of use as I have found in the past it is the way to go. Never give up and never think the industry is full of people better than you. Go for it!!!

Coop & Bear