PDA

View Full Version : ATC in Canada

YVRKid
19th Apr 2004, 06:14
I was wondering what ATC in Canada is like. I'm thinking of maybe being ATC instead of being a pilot, although I do admit I feel quilty about it. Would this be a good choice? The thing that bothers me about being a pilot is the hard start, and poor wages etc, and the 85% divorce rate....I plan on finding me a lady:) ;) So is ATC a good choice? Thanks.

rotornut
19th Apr 2004, 17:37
I have had a number of friends who went the ATC route. I don't know how it works now with NavCanada but when it was run by the DoT you did a test. I understand it was to find out your ability
to solve spatial problems in 3 dimensions. If you did well, you were invited to take the training course which used to be held in Cornwall, Ont. I'm afraid I don't know how it works now but I suspect it is similar under NavCanada.

EuroATC
20th Apr 2004, 05:45
I am a controller, I started out in Canada and have worked in Europe and the middle east. The selection process is similar with Nav Canada as it was with the Government. If you are selected you are sent to Cornwall for training, thing is, it's not free anymore. You can check the website for more info, www.navcanada.ca IT's a couple thousand dollars and when you graduate they can send you anywhere in Canada. You can make a request for a certain location but there is absolutely no guarantee.

As for sucess rates. When I went through, there were 9 in my class. Only 3 went on to get licenses. This was considered a good class at the time. The failure rate is high and you can be failed at any point. If you're young it's worth a go, if you're 35 and a have house, a car payment etc. it's alot to risk for no sure thing. Just my opinion. I was 23 when I went did it so if it didn't work I could easily have moved on.

rotornut
20th Apr 2004, 21:59
Also, and Euro can probably update us on this, if you pass the course you have 2 choices. You either go as a tower contoller (VFR) or as an IFR controller. An IFR controller means you sit in a control centre in front of a radar screen.

As to choices, my cousin from Ottawa did the course and ended up in Buttonville, just outside of Toronto. But as Euro said, they can send you anywhere in Canada.

EuroATC
22nd Apr 2004, 06:03
Well I went through in the mid 90's. At the time training was regionalised.. which means. If you were applying from and hired in the ontario region... you were sent to

Toronto ACC (IFR)
Ottawa Terminal (IFR if you were bilingual)

or Any VFR tower in ontario.

Now things have changed and training is national which means you could apply in Gander Nfld and be posted to Kelowna BC. They always say that those with the better class grades can chose from a list but you can definitely end up somewhere you don't wanna be.

IFR vs VFR. If you wanna earn the big salary fast and get training over with go IFR. The sucess rate is lower but you get the money. I am not sure how it works now but back in themid 90's even if you chose VFR you would eventually have to go to the IFR training stream. I was lucky and sent direct to Toronto ACC. Others in my class were sent to towers and are still there to this day.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask

Stunty
23rd Apr 2004, 03:37
Gday boys and girls. A lot has changed. Im a current VFR controller on the west coast. VFR and IFR are seperate now, if you do one, you do one only - no more dual courses etc etc. If you choose VFR you go to Ottawa and pay to train. If you choose IFR you now go to a regional area and train at the center you will work, for example Vancouver center controllers now do all training from day 1 at the vancouver center.

As for the difference in pay. An average tower salary to start off after training is probably over 45-50k, average IFR to start is more like 80k. You would expect to earn over 100k including overtime etc in your second or third year.

Personally I love looking at planes and airports and have one of the best views from any tower I have ever been too. I wouldn't even dream of going to the center and sitting in a dark room no matter how much more I was paid. But then again I am at a fairly high level tower so my pay is not the lowest level either.

To the young fellow asking the ATC questions, you may talk to me on the phone if you like, or call your nearest tower and have a chat to a controller. Private Message me your details if you want more info.

Cheers
Stunty