PDA

View Full Version : Do flight managment computers have passwords?

lineboy_nz
8th Apr 2004, 08:27
Do you have to log-in at the beginning of the flight? Do you have a password?

Captain Stable
8th Apr 2004, 08:31
Yes - the password is *********

;)

lineboy_nz
8th Apr 2004, 09:53
Thank-you. That was going to be my second question.

SeldomFixit
8th Apr 2004, 11:15
The password "BUG GERY" needs to be entered into the scratchpad. The FMC will then authenticate by answering " illegal entry ". :O

lineboy_nz
8th Apr 2004, 12:30
That's funny... in the airbus, it says simply "please re-enter".

ShyTorque
9th Apr 2004, 13:42
Ours is very temperamental. There's no known password as such, but the only way to get what you want is to caress the "ON" button in a certain way.

A bit like the wife really..... but the advantage is that when you realise you've done something wrong, you can always pull the circuit breaker and start again :ok:

avioniker
9th Apr 2004, 15:20
A password is an operator option for certain functions. One may program in whatever character pattern is desired to allow access to whatever function is needing protection.
In some systems it takes an engineer to do it by repinning a program plug, in others anyone may do it from the CDU keyboard.
In the company I'm now working for, one of our pilots did it to five aircraft in three days and almost grounded the fleet until we figured out what the hell happened to cause the "Maint Check" symbol to appear.
TWA had a password to keep stick actuators from getting into the maintenance pages. Some companies have passwords to guard the updated databases so that only duly authorized individuals may do the changeover.

BOAC
9th Apr 2004, 17:04
That's funny... in the airbus, it says simply "please re-enter".

lineboy - that it because it has French blood and they have some odd habits:D

Captain Stable
11th Apr 2004, 04:39
And with that, this thread is off to JetBlast.

airship
11th Apr 2004, 04:53
And we now have someone who is going to hack PPRuNe in order to discover logins. Because as we all know, people tend to reuse passwords, don't they?! :uhoh:

(why do I always think I have something useful to say...) :sad:

paulo
11th Apr 2004, 10:30
Especially the asterisk one.

lineboy_nz
11th Apr 2004, 11:28
busted!
next question. does Boeing have a helpdesk for pilots? in case they forget the password or can't open attachments in outlook express 6?

No_Speed_Restriction
19th Apr 2004, 10:28
yes,
its 01293-573700. :=