PDA

View Full Version : &£& crash record

warkman
3rd Apr 2004, 17:35
I hope this is the right section to ask this question, sorry in advance if it is not.

You might be aware of the discussion going on in another part of the forum regarding Thomsonfly and CVT.

One of the anti airport group has written to the local papers staing that at least once a year a 737 has crashed, and he does not want the aircraft flying over the local school.

Now, I do not know if he is correct in the figures, but exactly how many 737's have crashed which have been operated by either UK or European airlines? I can only think of the MAN runway fire one.

Is the record of the 737 series any different to any other a/c?

does anybody know?
TIA

Frankfurt_Cowboy
3rd Apr 2004, 17:59
Didn't one full of sheep actually crash at Coventry? Think it was Algerian or something, not strictly european but relevant.

GARDENER
3rd Apr 2004, 19:26
Isn't the 737 the worlds most popular airliner? (in terms of number flying)
It's amazing what stats the "anti's" come up with. This could quite easily be turned round into crashes vs hours flown and would not seem quite as frequent re crashes. Like you state I can't think of many other UK 737 incidents other than MAN fire and Kegworth crash.
I stand to be corrected....go for it!
PS I thought us pilots always avoided schools! After an incident I had I remember reading in the press "the pilot did an excellent job steering away from the local school".......did I hell simply found a softer landing spot!

ETOPS
4th Apr 2004, 08:15
Here's the link to the data base.

Aviation Safety Network B737 losses (http://www.aviation-safety.net/database/type/103.shtml)

Currently showing 115 hulls destroyed.

Daysleeper
4th Apr 2004, 08:49
As opposed to the 4400 built, say 2000 in service on any one day. 8000 sectors a day. 2,900,000 sectors a year.
bout 1 loss per milion departures (weighted towards Africa & S America)
Thom doing a max 25 departures a day out of cov , so a hull loss every 75,000 years. :rolleyes:

done with mental maths so not totally accurate.
Which paper was it in?

edited to add.
By comparison DC-3's have been flying out of Coventry for years, around 1400 have been lost since the type was introduced (1935ish) and thats around 15 a year! Shows what total cr*p statistics are.

Dead_Heading
4th Apr 2004, 12:38
99% of statistics are wrong

Lu Zuckerman
4th Apr 2004, 13:55
In the teaching of statistics at the University level the first thing you are taught by the professor is “ Figures lie and liars figure”.

:E :E

jarjam
4th Apr 2004, 14:02
There was a 737 that went in about ten years ago on the approach into Coventry.
It was a freighter picking up veal cattle, I believe it was a non UK operator that was positioning from East Mids.
Apparently they were on the wrong QNH and managed to rip the flaps off one wing on an electricity pylon. The aircraft rolled inverted and went in verticaly clipping a couple of roof tiles of some houses with the vertical stabiliser.
Nobody on the ground was killed other than the crew. Purely down to pilot error as was the kegworth accident at EMA.

Daysleeper
4th Apr 2004, 14:31
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_avsafety/documents/page/dft_avsafety_502519.hcsp

Algerians in 1994. Crew descended below MDA on a SRA. Put down to fatigue induced errors. (10+ hours 5 sectors 6 approaches)

As an aside I'm not aware of anyone being killed in a G-reg passenger airliner crash in the last 10 years. Anyone know any better?

ETOPS
4th Apr 2004, 17:52
Here's the link

Aviation Safety database UK accidents (http://www.aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?sorteer=datekey&kind=A&cat=%1&page=3&field=Country&var=G)

The worst of the last 10 years was the Knight Air crash at EGNM which killed a very good friend.

warkman
4th Apr 2004, 19:19
Daysleeper,
It was in the Coventry evening Telegraph.
Thursday April 1st
and the letter went as follows;

"Re Flights from Coventry-on average there has been one crash a year involving 737's around the world.
Willenhall had a crash in 1994. Do these pro TUI flights realise the flight path is over Willenhall Woods primary School?
I would rather have more frieght flights over my house at nights than risk the safety of children
Kevin Park
Leyside, Willenhall"

Daysleeper
5th Apr 2004, 08:29
Amazing , some people are complete muppets.

eal401
5th Apr 2004, 08:51
Presumably he'll be campaigning for road traffic to be banned outside of the same school?

topcat450
6th Apr 2004, 11:53
Grrrr this really gets my blood pressure up! I'd love to meet this chappy and explain a few facts to him! As eal401 has pointed out, does he not realise cars outside the school, the journey too school is a greater risk.

Even if he's right and 1 737 crashes per year, the UKs fleet of 175 (aprox) is not a huge percentage of the 4000+ out there and the flights out of Coventry are even smaller percentage still of that figure!!

Also, not knocking Air Atlantique in anyway, but this guy obviously seems oblivious or doesn't mind the DC3s and Electra's using CVT, but 737s - whoooaaaahhhh stop the press they're death traps! What a pillock.

:mad: