PDA

View Full Version : Go-around statistics

Pax Vobiscum
1st Apr 2004, 14:45
The current discussion on an alleged 'stick-shaker' at LHR generated a comment to the effect that go-arounds are a relatively rare event. As I've experienced a couple myself from my seat at the back, I wondered how true this was. I haven't been able to find any stats on the ratio of go-arounds:landings or rejected take-offs:take-offs. Can anyone point me to a helpful web page, or provide an (approximate) answer?

Thanks

PV

BOAC
1st Apr 2004, 16:48
Not sure those stats are kept, PV, so it will probably be a subjective answer, but in my experience as pilot both ratios VERY low. Perhaps ATC can provide a better answer?

Gonzo
1st Apr 2004, 17:45
At Heathrow it works out to about 0.2% of approaches.

Pax Vobiscum
2nd Apr 2004, 10:09
Thanks for your help folks. Gonzo, I imagine that works out to around 1 a day at LHR. A nice ATC lady once told me that 'if we don't get a go-around every day, we know we're not squeezing flights in fast enough', but there may have been a slight element of exaggeration involved ...

angels
2nd Apr 2004, 12:52
I used to live in Singapore and due to the localised (and quite violent!) weather there, go-arounds were fairly frequent. I experienced a total of three myself, one of which involved a divert to Batam.

As pax, I never had a problem with go-arounds, it's just the crew doing their job. None of the other pax ever seemed concerned either.

It must happen a lot more in the tropics.

swish266
2nd Apr 2004, 13:36
about 11500 TT
about 5000 ldgs
6 to 10 G/a

2 of them at SIN on 10.08.96. Rw got changed twice while the cell moved over. Mayhem...

Good enough stats?

Pax Vobiscum
2nd Apr 2004, 16:38
Thanks again.

I agree angels, go-arounds should not be an issue and I'm sure the rule is 'when in doubt, go around'. I think it can be a concern to more nervous and less frequent fliers, and a suitable announcement from the front (once things are less hectic), as happened on my two occasions, is probably a good idea.

swish266 any RTOs? I suppose the common causes of G/As are busy airports and weather.

Gonzo
2nd Apr 2004, 16:54
Pax V, about 2-3 a day.

Remember, average. Some days we don't have any, but I remember one day in January we had nearly twenty I think....and one of them pointed straight at the tower!!!!

swish266
2nd Apr 2004, 20:12
1- below 80 kts : "Leading edge slat disagree".

Pax Vobiscum
3rd Apr 2004, 08:06
Thank you all for your help.

Much appreciated

PV