PDA

View Full Version : Any retained firemen flying?

Capt BK
30th Mar 2004, 12:35
As someone who's main interests are flying and firefighting I was wondering if there are any professional pilots out there that manage to juggle their career with joining their local retained fire station?

I've just started my CPL/IR and in the future would be interested in becoming a retained fireman but I’m not sure if the two careers are compatible, what with you having to be on call for both on some days!

Anyone know if it’s possible?

Bealzebub
30th Mar 2004, 13:12
I can only answer half your question.

Being on call for an airline or "standby" is a contractual obligation. You must be available as the airline regards you as being imperitive to cover their programme as they see fit. They would take a very dim view of anybody that failed to comply with their contractual terms. Every airline has slightly different requirements, but broadly you would be required to be able to leave your home address within 30 minutes of a call out and then report within your normal travelling time to work which should in any event not usually exceed an addition 90 minutes.

In addition there is a general level of presumption that you are properly rested prior to reporting for duty. I suspect there might also be insurance implications for some employers.

My guess would be this is probably a non starter unless the secondary task is guaranteed not to conflict with the primary one and in any event it might be necessary to obtain the primary employers consent.

bankrupt
30th Mar 2004, 22:08
I have been in aviation for almost ten years, I started with the same hopes of combining two things.

I can tell you from experience, the airline virtually owns you, the schedule is not flexible, everybody that has once driven to the airport knowing that over a hundred people are waiting for YOU, and there is no one else on the roster to replace you, knows what I mean.

Do NOT count on being able to make any agreements about your roster. Some companies offer fixed schedules e.g. 5 days on and three off, these can be reasonably stable. Count on working till midnight or later before your off days begin and to start early 5 am or something similar on your first working day after that.

Sorry buddy, its the straight stuff straight up.

On the bright side you do get to fly a shiny Jet, I Love it :D :D

Capt BK
31st Mar 2004, 08:50
Thanks for the replies,

To be honest I suspected as much but thought i'd ask the question anyway. When the day comes that I have to choose between the two it won't take me a second!:D

AFFF
31st Mar 2004, 21:49
Capt BK

Have been working with guys who have combined working in the airport fire service and retained fire service for years, and whilst they seem to manage to combine the two, my personal advice having read your posted replies would be don't do it!

If the airline you work for virtually own you, as suggested by "bankrupt", your local authority fire service would want no less commitment from you. Whilst they would obviously recognise and honour your contractual obligations to your primary employer, you would be expected to be available for fire-fighting duties at all other times. Quality time with the family or mates may mean applying for leave! You would be expected to "Drill" at least once a week, then there are the endless courses for driving or wearing breathing apparatus etc, some are day courses others are considerably longer!

Knowing how some airlines' crewing and rostering works, you would have to ask yourself this, do I want to be reporting for duty at 0500, flying two sectors to the Canaries and back and just after you arrive home, your alerter sounds and you spend a large portion of the night at a fire, and then be expected to undertake two more sectors the following day.

On the bright side you could get to fly a shiny jet, and drive a big red fire appliance!

Whatever you decide, All the best!

AFFF:ok:

Capt BK
1st Apr 2004, 11:22
Cheers AFFF

I think i'll give the retained fire service a miss and just aim for the shiny jets (If I ever get a job on one!).

I already volunteer at Elvington Museum/airfield Fire Service once or twice a month where I only recently got my lower cat stickyfoot. They wont let me drive their big red shiny Pathfinder but maybe in a couple of years....;)

AFFF
1st Apr 2004, 13:12
Capt BK

Hope you do get the chance to drive the Pathfinder. The machine is an absolute "Beast". Although they were British built, only 3 served in the UK, 2 at Manchester and 1 at Liverpool. the majority of them ended up in the middle and far east, and I know they were also used by the NYC Port Authority.

I spent over 10 years driving them, but I can't remember which one went to Elvington, either WNE 371L or YVU 138M.

18.6 litre Detroit Diesel engine 635bhp.
3000 gallons of water, 360 gallons of foam concentrate, producing 15,500 gallons of produced foam through the monitor and two sidelines per minute. (9:1 expasion ratio).
You could empty one in under two minutes, but then it took upwards of 20 minutes to top it up.
Monitor throw was between 250-300 feet in still air.
Approx 38 tons fully laden and no power steering.
Cost new £60,000 in the early to mid 70's. A tyre cost just under £1000 in 1979.

Ah memories!

AFFF

Boss Raptor
1st Apr 2004, 17:26
I would think that most UK airlines are going to have a 'you cant work/fly for anyone else' clause...be surprised if they didn't...even guys I know who instruct for fun have to get specific permission