PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian abroad...

Canadian Beech
29th Mar 2004, 21:52
I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am hoping to find work outside of Canada flying jets, and wonder which airlines hire Canadians with an ATPL. I've applied to Cathay, and was hoping to find other companies that have hired Canucks in the past. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

ps. I've got almost 4000 tt, 2000 Turbo prop, 2100 pic, 700 ME Turbine PIC. No jet.

Otterman
31st Mar 2004, 14:58
In Europe there are a number of airlines that have hired a fair share of Canadian pilots. In the late eighties and early nineties Canadian pilots seemed to be one of our biggest export products. I trained at Mount Royal College and have flown for KLM out of Amsterdam since the late eighties. There are at least 50 Canadian pilots with KLM.

Times have changed though. To begin with the job market is very tight, and that is an understatement. Follow that up with European laws that give hiring preference to EU citizens. A potential employer has to show that he was unable to find a qualified candidate in another EU country before he can hire a pilot from outside the EU (there are ways around this, but the majors in Europe play that one by the book). And lastly you have the license issue. I don’t track this much anymore.

Even though I had a Canadian ATR when I came to Europe I had to sit all the exams (seven in total, they weren’t multiple choice and the material covered was very extensive). This changed in the early nineties when airlines couldn’t get enough people in and you only had to do an air regulation exam. This was a weekend course with a guarantee pass. For several years now we have a common European licence (JAA) and I have heard that it requires a person to sit all the exams again. And I don't think it matters what your previous licence happens to be. I could be wrong on that count but you have to look into these things before you go much further than applying. Your best bet into Europe is applying at a carrier that flies aircraft that you have previous experience on. Once you get into Europe you can start to apply at the majors and try to get in to them. Most of the Dutch carriers have Canadians flying for them. I know Martinair is now hiring for some expansion. You could give them a try. But the market is saturated with pilots at the moment.
Regards O.

fougapilot
1st Apr 2004, 08:45
Personally, I have never worked abroad, but have friends (Canadians) working for airlines such as Emirates, Air Mauritius, Korean, Vietnam airline (don't remember the name) and a number of laidoff Jazz guys aparently fly -8 in the carabean.

Get a copy of JP fleet International. All companies are listed in it.

Dan

Canadian Beech
1st Apr 2004, 20:05
Thanks alot guys, I appreciate it.
Cheers

CaptW5
1st Apr 2004, 20:35
Quite a few of the companies mentioned (that have hired Canadians) go through employment agencies, such as BEST, Parc Aviation and IASCO . Also most of the time it requires a type endorsement and time on type.
A lot of the Dash8 positions in the Caribbean and Europe were handled through Storm Aviation (Canada). I also know of quite a few Canadians working for Japan Airlines and it's various subsidiaries.
Also quite a few Canadians working for DHL in Europe and the Middle East, some of whom did get on without type endorsements.

Otterman
2nd Apr 2004, 09:52
No, sorry. Know a couple of guys who were, but I flew for Kenn Borek Air for about a year and got hired by KLM with that experience. Things happened kind of quickly for me. I was 23 when I got hired, and started on the Boeing 747-200/300.

deniset3000
2nd Apr 2004, 16:07
Air Atlanta from Iceland have crews based in Uk and Buenos Aires - lots of hiring as they have taken over EAAC contracts. A few guys exCanada 3000 are working for Air Atlanta.

dgooch
16th Apr 2004, 17:21
The Middle East is where it's at. First choice: Emirates, Qatar Airways, Gulf Air have a lot of Western flight and cabin crew and Dubai, at least, is a fun place to live. Alcohol in the restaurants and bikini's at the swimming pools.

Other choices include Saudi Arabian and Kuwait Airways

Panama Jack
20th Apr 2004, 15:18
You forgot to mention what type ratings you have or what airplanes over 12,500 lbs you've flown. Type ratings (jet or certain turbo-props) and/or jet time is what it is all about. Don't forget Africa.