PDA

View Full Version : Fear 0f Bumps

yellowvestman
29th Mar 2004, 18:46
I am a flying instructor with around 1000 hours total time. However recently I have started becoming stressed by bumpy conditions. I am not talking major throwing about, but moderate chop.

I am not sure what has stated this, or how to deal with it. Has anybody else ever been through this, or do they have any pointers?

I know this has effected at least one student, and I do not want to pass this on.

Any feedback?

GusHoneybun
29th Mar 2004, 19:43
Chop. Who needs it :{ .
When I get to the airfield in the morning and see the windsock across the runway or a nice southerly bouncing over the hills, I know I'll be in for a bumpy day and don't look forward to having to get airbourne. Especially circuits when you can't climb above it. Rather be sat in the club drinking tea annoying the school sec.
I guess you could always try looking at you student. If they are quite happy to gad around on some demonic rollarcoaster ride, then so can you. At least your being paid for the privilidge :ok:.

I do have a paranoia of being twatted by some military jets that fly around a silly levels. The ones you can hear, you always see after they have passed you and the number of times I have seen, but not heard of traffic in my very near vicinity, well that's probably a different thread.

homeguard
29th Mar 2004, 19:51
Well done yellowvestman for coming clean. Facing up to things is 60% the cure.

Do you have a friendly AME with whom you could have an informal chat? I'm wondering whether you have other pressures, that you haven't identified, that may be getting to you.

Is your CFI a sympathectic type. I know some will not be, but is yours?.

yellowvestman
29th Mar 2004, 20:09
What kind of factors contribute to this sort of thing?

I have previously dealt with students fears about being flipped upside down or thrown about. This is the sort of issue you get over some time during your PPL, not something that hits you with 750 plus P1 hours!

As soon as the wind gets above about 15 knots, or it is thermally that is it, I find I am covering the controls, and generally feeling uncomfortable and wishing I was on the ground.

A good wing drop and I up for going back to land.

Over the last year os so instructing I have flown in some bad weather, but recently extreme caution has come into play and I am unsure how to deal with it.

Any feedback, experiences or tricks you have used to sort out similar things with your students would be appreciated.

Sensible
31st Mar 2004, 12:38
I believe that homeguard has hit the nailon the head, it is quite likely that other matters ie: career or at home have loaded you to the top and the added stress of a bit of chop tips you over the edge. It seems unlikely that it is actually getting bumped around a bit would be a problem especially since as an instructor you would well appreciate the cause and effect of turbulence - unless it's the state of maintenance and age of the airplane you are flying that is really troubling you!

Go see your doc. the AME after maybe.

poteroo
3rd Apr 2004, 11:22
Rough Air Flying

Here in Aus we have some very rough air due high ambient temps, plus big thermals, and students find it very disconcerting.

I've found that it does help to show them how well you can 'quieten' the rough air by using rudder a bit more positively - via the secondary effect - rather than by overusing aileron, with the consequent yaw, and usually, tiring out from all the effort.

Once you get the hang of a slight 'lead' with rudder so that you are already picking up the down wing as aileron is applied, it does reduce the effort required.

Before everyone bags these suggestions, go and try them first.

Probably don't need to tell you that a few kts less IAS is a big help when instructing in rough air. Think in terms of perhaps 5-10kts less than the lowest Va, (as calculated according to average operating weight), for the type you operate).

happy days,