PDA

View Full Version : Bubble of air inside the windows

Diabolo
28th Mar 2004, 14:46
Hello,

Some pockets of air inside the cockpit windows. I would like to know if there is a speci name on this particular phenomena and if there is any risk?

Thank you

BigHitDH
28th Mar 2004, 17:31
Hmm.

Maybe the window got overheated (inop overheat protection?) and has caused the laminates to become seperated.

I have no idea if this poses any risk (if the overheat protection is ******ed, then yes, that's a risk) but I'm sure there are some guidelines in place regarding window defects (location, size etc).

Write it up and see what the engineers say.

Boss Raptor
28th Mar 2004, 17:42
windscreens, pax windows, what are we talking here?

If we are talking heating I assume a windscreen panel therefore as you have intimated I have always see the term 'delamination' which dependant on the individual acft. type is quite serious as it can spread rapidly and affect the structural integrity of the panel and also the ability to repel the odd bird...believe it or not some aircraft require window heaters on at low level as it makes the window material more 'bouncy' to cope with a bird strike, the Hawker 800 (HS125-800) was one I recall (one I flew used to delam every year and was for ever having new windscreens on warranty from then BAe)

Mr @ Spotty M
28th Mar 2004, 17:50
Normally the flight deck windows when they show a small amount of delaminating, has no structural bearing on the window.
The problem is normally if the delaminating causes vision problems, or if the window shows signs of arcing.
All information on this will be found in the Aircraft Maintenance Manual.

Boss Raptor all fast aircraft must have widow heat to give strength to the flight deck windows. Without it, if they are hit they would shatter on impact.
Normally if the heating is inoperative you would have a speed penalty until about 10000 feet. This will be until you get above the birds and yes I know birds can fly higher than this, but not too many.
Anyway the problem above that will be the oxygen cylinder strapped to the bird’s back, which will do the damage.

BigHitDH
28th Mar 2004, 18:44
Anyway the problem above that will be the oxygen cylinder strapped to the bird’s back, which will do the damage. :p :p :p

Boss Raptor
29th Mar 2004, 13:14
Good article

http://www.aircraftbuyer.com/ownership/windshield.htm

Diabolo
29th Mar 2004, 16:49
Thank you Boss Raptor:ok: