PDA

View Full Version : CRT's EFIS etc...

genius747
24th Mar 2004, 16:46
Hello all

I am a 3rd year transport student (with PPL)
I am doing an assignment on CRT's, EFIS, ECAM etc..
how they work how they are integrated into a/c systems etc.
I have very little information on it thought and I am wondering if anybody here may be able to direct me to some good info.

Thanks all

moo
24th Mar 2004, 18:04
your best bet would be Rockwell Collins or Honeywell websites genius, they have the dominant share of the market. In terms of integration into the aircraft its not as complex as one might think (he says).

747-400 systems (for example: IRS, ADC, MMR, FQIS etc.) collect their data from the respective aircraft movements/pitot static probes/antennae/fuel tank probes and then each relevant LRU calculates the outputs which are then sent to three EIUs (Electronic Integration Units) NB. Only one EIU is needed.

The EIU is the sole interface between the glass cockpit displays and the outputs of ALL aircraft systems. The EIU digitizes the information and sends signals to the CRTs in a form that they understand in order that they can display it to the flight crew.

The EIU operation is essential and there are switches in the flight deck to switch between one and another (normal position AUTO) should you be getting unreliable information from one.

Hope that helps :ok:

Nigd3
24th Mar 2004, 19:52
Hi Genius

Moo is pretty much correct when he says that its not as complicateed to integrate an EFIS as you think. A lot of info is passed via A429 databus using different labels for a lot of information. Most ADC, IRS, AHRS, GPS, FMS, Nav recievers etc all have A429 tx and Rx lines and as long as the various labels are available, its fairly straightforward. Getting an authority to certify it on a certain aircraft, with regards hazard and system safety analysis is a different matter, as they tend to be essential equipment (especially as an ADI or PFD).
With regards CRTs, they are really on the way out as they suffer from washout problems, can be unreliable and also require symbol generators. Todays modern displays tend to be integrated single units with AMLCDs and especially if they have avionics grade glass , rather than commercial grade glass, are massively better than CRTs.
An alternative website to Collins and Honeywell to look at is [url]www.astronautics.com just to give you a taster. Not sure where you can get really detailed integration info from without being an aircraft manufacturer or installer etc.