PDA

View Full Version : CF vs. RAF???

Colonial Aviator
24th Mar 2004, 10:16
This is the same question that I've posted in the military aircrew forum, just wanted a greater chance of replies - I have always wanted to be a pilot, yes like many before me and indeed like many to come. And I am in the process of applying both the Royal Air Force and the Canadian Forces as a pilot. Having completed Elementary Flying Training here in England while on a University Air Squadron and in the process of finishing off my degree. I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on the potential prospects for pilots, more so from a Canadian point of view if possible since I've been reading a lot and have an idea of what the prospects are here in the UK for pilots. Selection procedures, timelines? anything really

Ralph Cramden
24th Mar 2004, 23:32
The current government here in Canada has been in power for about 10 years. They have seriously underfunded our military to the point where the military is on the verge of collapse.
In spite of this the government has not provided any new funding in the latest budget which was brought down yesterday.
My advice is go with the RAF. At least the Brits appreciate and honour their military.

goates
25th Mar 2004, 18:05
There are many pilots who have enjoyed their time in the RCAF, and have posted their experiences in similar threads on this board. As Ralph pointed out though, the current government hasn't provided much funding for the military over the past 10 years. The result are aircraft like the CF-18s that are only now getting upgraded to be compatible with the rest of NATO, at the expense of mothballing parts of the fleet for one example. The RCAF is also almost half helicopters, so you could easily end up flying them instead of fixed wing. Not a problem if you want that, but if you would like to move to the airlines one day it could hurt your chances. The RCAF has a long a proud history, and is supported by many of us in the public, but the Liberal government seems bent on destroying it. There are some new leaders in power now, so the situation may get better, but we will have to wait and see.

goates

FFP
1st Aug 2004, 08:20
Thought I'd bring this topic back . . .. . . . .

Am currently in the RAF and have flown with the RCAF. I would say that the CF are valued more by the local population than the RAF is.

I thoroughly loved my time in Canada and hope to move back there when I'm 38. Anyone know if the CF currently accept Reservists for flying posts ? Would love to spend some time doing something other than AT flying !!!

wrenchbender
3rd Aug 2004, 04:33
FFP; It is possible that you may be very welcome to the Canadian Forces as a Reserve pilot. I suggest you contact Recruiting, but in the meantime try posting your question at this site;

http://www.caaviation.com/forums/index.php?showforum=21

It is a forum for Canadian Military pilots.

Good luck!

yyzdub
3rd Aug 2004, 14:35
Before you go any further, don't you have to be a Canadian Citizen to apply to the CAF?

saudipc-9
12th Aug 2004, 14:49
Yes you do have to be Canadian in order to apply to get into the CF. As far as RAF vs CF well that would depend on what you want and also lifestyle. Yes the CF is underfunded but it has been that way for years and it is still here. The RAF just took a kick in the goolees with a very large drop in numbers. Overall, I think you would be happy in either one but in Canada you could have your house paid off before your kids retire and afford to drive your car further than the end of your driveway.:p