PDA

View Full Version : Type Certification

paulo
20th Mar 2004, 20:17
What things can be varied under a given type cert?

For example, I assume engine power can't be, but actual engine? i.e. Would you have seperate type certs to cover each engine supplier?

Do the rules vary from authority to authority?

Do authorities vary in what constitutes a type? e.g. Can you have a scenario where aircraft A & B are viewed as two types by one authority, and one type by another?

sky330
21st Mar 2004, 06:27
In short, it depends :-)

In some cases, differents engines are viewed has different types but most often it is considered a variant of the same type.

In the past, some CAA's consider 737-200 (rounds and dials classic type) and 737-EFIS to be two different types altough others consider it to be two differents variants of the same type.

My 2 cents

paulo
21st Mar 2004, 18:02
Thanks. I think I'm peeling layers of an onion here...

Looking at the british register for, say 737s, the variants seem very granular (e.g. 229, 229C, 31S, 330QC etc)

Are these operatior specific configurations?

747FOCAL
23rd Mar 2004, 17:02
You can add variants to the type certificate. The manufacturer can elect to put new variants on seperate type certificate. you can see the "Type Certification Data Sheets" on the FAA website.

Here:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Volume
24th Mar 2004, 08:39
Yes sky330, it depends.

You can have different variants on the same type certificate, but you can also have seperate type certificates for customized variants.
For example the Dornier Do27 (single piston engine light aircraft), the Do 28, Do 128 up to the Do 228 (twin engine turboprop commuter) have the same type certificate.
On the other hand the Boeing 747-430 (Lufthansa) and 747-428 (Air France) do not have the same type certificate, although they are almost identical. To be true, the 747-428 is not type certified in Germany, as well as the 747-430 is not type certified in France.
(The 747-400 is pre JAA type certified, so there were national certifications)

So the rules are the same for most authorities, but the politics of the manufacturers is different. (you can make LOTS of money ´designing´ and approving the same type of repair for every operator, say for every type again ...)

747FOCAL
24th Mar 2004, 13:14
Volume,

What the heck are you talking about. All 747-400s share the same Type Certificate from the FAA regardless if it is a -428 or -430 or whatever. :confused:

Volume
25th Mar 2004, 05:52
Hi 747focal,

might be true for the FAA, but (although most of you Americans don´t believe) there is more in the world than the USA and the FAA.
Boeing applies for type certification outside the U.S. in the past for customized types only.
Only 747-400 certified in Germany was the 747-430, and with only one engine option. As Far as I know, this was the same all across Europe.
The politics changed when JAA came in place, national type certificates disappeared and so did the customized type certificates. Since EASA is in place, it changed again.
See this document (www.lba.de/dokumente/zuger/02-lfz-ue-2t.pdf ) as an example, in January 03 the type certification of the 747-400 was issued, so you are right for this type now.
As you can see, for 747-100 and -300 only the 747-130, 747-330F and 747-330B are certified, so for the older models this is still the case. Same for 737, older models are only certified in customized variants, newer models (since JAA was in place) have general certifications.

747FOCAL
25th Mar 2004, 13:16
Volume,

Sorry. I stand corrected. I thought you were talking FAA. I did not know that each country handed out their own TC. I would have thought with reciprocity that they would just accept the FAA TC and save themselves the work. I guess it is an ego thing which you Europeans are very big on. :p

Genghis the Engineer
27th Mar 2004, 20:07
Or perhaps a duty of care to our own citizens!

It goes both ways, I've submitted reports to FAA before now to get an FAA TC for a British type.

G

xyz_pilot
28th Mar 2004, 16:38
Quite so

747focal

Do you think the FAA should give a type cert to any British German Ukrainian aircraft that just asks for one?

747FOCAL
29th Mar 2004, 13:37
xyz_pilot,

Try to see the humor in this answer........ :p

The FAA is the best certification outfit in the world with the most knowledgable americans looking after the safety and airworthiness of aircraft. Of course everyone should accept their certification without question. For the same reason that english is the accepted world language you should expect to duly jump through extra hoops when a foreign built airplane applys for certification. :E :E :suspect: