PDA

View Full Version : Air Force a good choice?

YVRKid
20th Mar 2004, 06:37
Hello,

My name is Matthew, I'm 15, and from Vancouver (Hence YVRKid). i LOVE airplanes, and no, not because of the flight attendants that work inside them, although its a great bonus;) I've been thinking alot about my future and I'm not to sure which path I want to take to become a pilot. What are the benefits/reprecussions of choosing the air force path, and what about choosing the path of private/flight schools. If there are any actaul airline pilots here, which did you choose and what was it like?

Latte tester
21st Mar 2004, 07:59
Matthew, first of all get a good education, it will help further down the line and in case you change your mind about flying, or it just does not work out, you have something to fall back on.
I spent 20 years in the Air Force, received great training, gained much experience, met a great bunch of people and flew some nice equipment.
You have a few more years to go before you sign on the dotted line, so study hard, get good grades, (your parents will like that) and go for it.
Best wishes, hope it works for you.

:ok:

YVRKid
29th Mar 2004, 22:48
I just don't know if the air force is a good choice. Like my main goal is to fly for an airline...dash 8 or 767 it doesnt matter. I just don't want to start flyin for airlines when im like 35ish although its my understanding thats the case with almost everyone.

fougapilot
1st Apr 2004, 08:53
Starting to fly for the airlines at 35 isn't that bad. You can do 15years with the airforce, 20 years with an airline and still retire around 55. But regardless of what you chose, NOTHING replaces a good education. Study hard, it will pay off. The airforce is definately one of the best school around. Every flight I make I use the stuff they drilled into my brain. Go for it Kid.

Blue skies

Dan

SBfour
2nd Apr 2004, 01:59
I am 36 and did my first solo in a jet back in the summer of 88. I vividly remember the rush of adrenaline as I accelerated to 220 kts looking to the right and not seeing my instructor. Since then I have done medevacs 100 miles from my ship, landed in sea states that I thought would cause the ship to sink, taught a decades worth of pilots from various countries how to fly, flown single pilot through terrifying weather at night with the most archaic nav package going then nearly ran out of fuel from ATC delays; all with with 2 jets on my wing breaking out at mins to land on a very dark, wet, short runway... have flown inverted at 300 feet looking toward the Golden Gate bridge contemplating the intensity of the moment... lost all navaids leaving Krakow solo in an RAF aircraft then departed Hannover on the wing of a Sqn mate - lightening flashes on the horizon and a German controller asking if we were going to fly through the 'dark cloud' together. This afternoon I pushed -2.5 g out of a pre aerobatic shakeout in a little red and white jet then did a vertical roll for prof. Tomorrow I will teach navigation at low level in a blue airplane that can go reasonably fast.

My 20 yrs ends next summer; I'll be 37 with a pension and a bunch of stories about how I have lived my dreams. I've worked with Prince Andrew, had tea at buckingham palace with a Queen named Elizabeth, met an astronaut named Buzz, had drinks with Worf at an airshow talking about his T33, shot the sh*t with Travolta and talked about the Tutor. I've had the pleasure of working for and leading some incredible people. Should I stay or go? Don't know yet, it's still fun. The airlines look like a good next stop but so does a 70% pension at 52.

Happy 80th to the Canadian Air Force. I wouldn't have missed my time in it for the world!!

YVRKid
2nd Apr 2004, 04:28
thanks soooo much, I more then likely will join the air force...SBFour, so you have msn? i have some, well alot, of questions:)

Latte tester
4th Apr 2004, 01:07
SBfour, you brought back some good memories, I too have met an astronaut, named Neil, I think he was with Buzz waaay out there...never managed the Palace, but have many times had to creep to "8 feet" not to loose sight of lead...fun times...I digress...

Matthew, go for it, but get a good education, you can't beat it.

I now love my big ultra long range biz jet, some things you never get tired of...FL450 Mach .85 and a nice coffee...mmmm
:cool: