PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Glen

Groundside
13th Mar 2004, 23:20
None of understand the mysteries of Death, and today, tragically, many of us will pause to ponder, shed a tear, and pray as we mourne the loss of one very special aviator.

To those of us who new him, were taught by him, flew with him, were helped and encouraged by him, his memory will live in our hearts for ever.

An Aviator from boyhood, salesman, stunt pilot, delivery pilot, aviation entepreneur, instructor, examiner, 'somewhat yachtsman', humourist, husband, mentor and wonderful friend.

You died today doing what you loved the most, we cannot bring you back, but we can wish you a safe passage thru God's Heavenly Gates.

Until we meet again dear friend, give my love to Viv.

Capt BK
14th Mar 2004, 01:07
I pray this is not who I think it is but alas after reading the local headlines I fear the worst.

Glen you were a wonderful mentor and a I cannot think of a more lovely person. You always met me with a friendly smile and I will miss you greatly. I have never flown with anyone that made flying look so effortless and I have always, and will continue to aspire to be as good a pilot as yourself.

This is such a huge loss to aviation.

Rest in peace my friend. My thoughts are with your family and friends at this difficult time.

icemanalgeria
14th Mar 2004, 01:09
Just heard the news from a friend on IM, I feel empty inside.

A gentleman who will be missed.

God bless Glen.

Radar35
14th Mar 2004, 01:32
A tragic loss to aviation, all those whom have flown with you and more importantly been taught by you.

You will be missed Glen!!

My sincerest condolences to you Mel and all family and close friends.

RIP - Now go soar with the Angels upon the surly bonds of earth!!

barnaby
14th Mar 2004, 01:41
My sincere condolences to Mel, family and friends.

Such a great loss to aviation and to mankind. Glen was a true gentleman for whom I have always had the utmost respect.

You will be missed but never forgotten.

RIP my friend.

Also, let us not forget the students' life that was taken in this tragic accident. My sympathies go to the family.

Overtorque
14th Mar 2004, 01:42
My thoughts and condolences to all of Glen's family. He was my first instructor, and enabled me to achieve all I have done in aviation.

It was wonderful to see Glen last year at his party.

Mel, all my thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

BoeingMEL
14th Mar 2004, 01:45
This is the worst possible news. It was my great privelege and pleasure to meet Glen on a number of occasions and found him to be an outstanding pilot and genuinely nice guy. My deepest and most sincere condolences to those loved ones left behind. The British general-aviation scene has lost a true asset. bm

weasil
14th Mar 2004, 02:43
How about sharing more about who Glen was to those of us who didn't know him.

Radar35
14th Mar 2004, 02:48
Glen Stewart was an excellent/brilliant aviator.

He started out in aviation as a young lad, had a Cessna dealership at leeds, later started a flying school at Humberside before it's rise to glory in partnership with Frank Morgan.

for the past 15 years as long as I've known him he has been the man behind Solo Flight @ Humberside International Airport. And also very big in the FAA training here in the UK. Just a small amount of history.

Please see following link to Glen's life:-

Glen's autobiography (http://www.soloflight.co.uk/cfi-bio.html)

free and zero
14th Mar 2004, 04:03
A truly sad day.
Glen for the short time I knew him was a true gent, and a genius of the skies. A remarkable man who will be deeply missed.

I can’t help but have images of him now in heaven, teaching the rest of the angels how to fly the barrel roles and various aero manouvoures.

RIP Glen, You will be missed by all very much

ETOPS
14th Mar 2004, 04:22
Here's the link to the BBC story.

Click here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/3508208.stm)

Please guys - no speculation until the official report comes out.......

Pnooze
14th Mar 2004, 05:36
Yep a very sad day. It has been a few years since i last had the Glens company but he was a true Gent from the old school.
RIP and my condolences to his family.l

Paracab
14th Mar 2004, 06:56
Gutted to be reading yet another RIP thread. I did not know the gentleman involved, but saddened all the same. Bunch of arse.

skydriller
14th Mar 2004, 09:47
I had a horrible feeling this was Glen Stuart of Soloflight we were talking about when I first saw the tribute thread yesterday, but didnt want to speculate in case my fears were unfounded....

I only had the pleasure of flying with him on a couple of occasions, but his love of flying and relaxed demeanour when teaching shone through and inspired confidence in oneself. I can remember my flights in BAFU over Lincolnshire like they were yesterday. Glen, you will be missed and remembered by many.

SD..

George T
14th Mar 2004, 10:06
A very very sad day. I also feel empty.
Glen has been a mentor to me for many years.
Even the people who didn’t like him respected him.

I will miss him very much.
There are no words to make this time easier.

RIP Glen

My condolences Mel and my condolences to the family of the student with him

George T

Megaton
14th Mar 2004, 14:04
After a bad experience elsewhere I went to Soloflight where Glen was my examiner for my PPL some 5 years ago. Always ready with a yarn, Glen had an infectious enthusiasm for flying which he passed on to those who knew him. Although I no longer fly regularly at Humberside I had great pleasure in being with him last year as he celebrated his 20000th hr with a flypast from the Reds. My deepest condolences to Mel but Glen RIP.

niknak
14th Mar 2004, 18:34
It was my privilage to Glen for 24 years, he went as he was probably created - flying, and I've no doubt that's the way he would have wanted it.
May you find as much happiness and contentment on the other side as you did when you did what you were born to do on earth.

Manflex55
14th Mar 2004, 19:10
Having done my conversion training at Humberside (though not at Soloflight), I had the opportunity to meet Glen on several occasions. He was indeed a great guy, & I can't imagine what must have gone wrong to prevent a recovery. From the BBC's info the aircraft was a C310, but I don't remember Soloflight having any such aircraft. Was he doing training on the student's own aircraft? What was the weather like at the time?

Lurcher Man
14th Mar 2004, 23:48
I was in two minds as to whether to contribute to this thread but felt it may help some to know in more detail what was seen of this tragic accident.
An aircraft was heard operating in the local area for approx 5 mins. The engine note change several times during this period consistant with alterations to power settings. The aircraft was percieved to be 'relativly' low.
The aircraft was seen to break cloud in a steep nose down attitude (30-45 degrees) and with 30-45 degrees right bank. The aircraft was intact and clean.
The time between the aircraft breaking cloud and impacting the ground was between 1.5 & 3 secs.
There appeared to be no attempt at recovery. There was no post impact fire.
Visability was poor with a low cloud base.
I trust the AAIB will find an explanation.
Thoughts are with all affected.

DRJAD
15th Mar 2004, 07:36
Met Glen and Mel for the first time in January, when I went along to Soloflight to enquire about training for the IR.

Both were so positive and encouraging, and I had a relaxed and humourous twenty minutes with Glen talking me through the various aspects of the course - I was looking forward to starting the training.

So sad to read of the accident.

RIP Glen, and deepest condolences to Mel.

cambioso
15th Mar 2004, 09:18
Ahhh the memories of an outstanding character.....
I first met Glen at Leeds in 1978 just after he left Northair and had started Citation Flying Services (I think it was called).
We met in a hotel and within 2 weeks my phone rang in Scotland and I found myself on the way to Teuge in Holland in Glen's C337 (G-FAST) to ferry back a C172 he was selling in the UK.
I thought I had died and gone to heaven in those days. I (a relatively low houred PPL/IMC) would get the call, jump onto Air UK and rumble over to Holland and bring back many (about 10 I think including the mighty C206) examples of the Cessna family to various parts of the UK.Throughout this period I knew I always would have Glen's peculiarly laconic drawling voice only a phone call away encouraging me on, if should doubt my abilities(which was often!)...he was always right and I learnt "shed loads"!
I then moved South and got more invoved in the aviation scene and I didn't see him for a while.
Later when I was flying B200s and latterly shiney jets, I would always make a point of visiting Soloflight, when I found myself at Humberside, and introduce my bemused co-pilots to one of the greatest pilots and friends a man could ever have.
Glen's death came as a total surprise to me since I was only phoning Mel yesterday to ask Mel & Glen about an FAA technicality (they have such an in-depth knowledge of the FAA system) and Mel gave me the shocking news.
I haven't cried for 20 years....I did then.
There will be many kind words from almost the entire aviation community.The world is a colder place for his parting, but those of us who were privileged to know him will always have a glow inside at the mention of his name.
Mel, so many words of condolence will be said in the days to come but my thoughts are only for you now, it's a bastard to be left behind so try and be strong darling you will always have the biggest "glow" of all of us.......
Jez.

'I' in the sky
15th Mar 2004, 09:28
Well Glen, having worked for you for two years I thought I should contribute my bit to this thread but now find myself absolutely lost for words.

If you were watching me last night you'll know I took a drink (and the rest) to you. Hope others will do the same.

Cheers.

Paul

Manflex55
15th Mar 2004, 10:43
Latest from the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/3511362.stm)

RVR800
15th Mar 2004, 11:37
I too have had the pleasure of working with Glen and I also did
my IMC rating with him.

An excellent pilot and instructor and a great loss to the world
of aviation.

I too monitored the news and feared it may have been him
who had died in this tragic accident

I cannot say how sorry I am to have my fears confirmed and
may I send my condolences to all his family......

RIP Glen

rauxaman
15th Mar 2004, 11:58
Absolutely devastating.

I can still hear Glen's voice helping me whenever I fly an aeroplane, "more rudder please, it's not a footstool"
You never forget guys like him and his humour, referring to the windsock as a "VOR" (Visible Orange Rag).

My sincere condolences to you Mel and everyone affected, he was special,

Geoff D

Underdog
15th Mar 2004, 13:03
I have tears rolling down my face as I write this. I'm at a loss as to what to say - the tears say it all.

It was my privelege to have worked with and for Glen in the past; his enthusiasm and humour were truly infectous, general aviation has become a duller place without him.

My sincere condolences to Mel and also the family of his student.

God bless,

Phil, Kit, Thomas and James

Manflex55
16th Mar 2004, 05:52
A few more details here (http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=298852004).

SCOTIAJOSH
16th Mar 2004, 05:54
Words fail me!
Glen will be sorely missed
My thoughts are with you Mel,anything I can do please ring.
Loadsa Love
Josh

G-KEST
16th Mar 2004, 09:33
Really sorry to learn of this tragic accident. My deepest condolences to the families. Glen was one of those unforgetteble characters in aviation and when I bought a 152 through him from Holland back in the 1970's his dealing skills got me the right aeroplane at the right price. We met but occasionally however when we did it was always a pleasure. His students will never forget his skills and we are all the poorer for his passing.
Trapper 69

Henpecked
16th Mar 2004, 10:34
What a tragic loss to general aviation!

Glen taught me to fly and I later worked for him at Soloflight. He was an inspired instructor who not only made flying seem so easy but also made it great fun for everyone who flew with him.

My condolences to Mel, the rest of the staff at Soloflight and of course the friends and family of Mr Macfarlane.

Groundside
16th Mar 2004, 11:04
The tributes that you have all paid to Glen, stand as a great tribute to the man and to the aviation community in general, the sensitivity, and heartfelt feelings expressed have no doubt helped Mel, Glen's loved ones, and all of us to share, cope and find hope from tragedy.

Speaking at length to Mel today, she is quite remarkable, and coping just as Glen would want her to, being strong and getting on with everything in a professional way.

The messages posted here, and the vast number of e mails have
given her strength and encouragement to be positive.Clearly many of his characteristics and happy memories will still be there for all of us to share with her as the years roll on.

So "Looking now to the future".....Mel feels that after a private family funeral, Glen would not want a 'Memorial Service'... but instead a 'Memorial Get Together' will be organised, with a sit down meal and the Band he so much enjoyed at his celebration party.....

Mel intends to carry on with 'Solo'as a tribute to Glen, and their efforts together over the years. Their web site will no doubt be used to communicate all relevant information.

Finally one final tribute to the great value of this web site, which has enabled so many people to be put in contact with one another at this critical time..

So Just For Glen....

jacksprat600
16th Mar 2004, 19:13
Just heard the news. I was Glen's ground eng for many years. I'm deeply shocked, stunned and feel we've lost one of aviations greats. Mel, if you're reading this, be strong love. If anyone can pass on my condolences to Mel, I'd be very grateful. This is my first time posting here and I've probably posted in the wrong place!! What can I say......Dearly loved - Sadly missed.

Vlax
17th Mar 2004, 17:25
It has taken me days to pluck up the courage to write this and I do so now through tears. It’s true you don’t know how much you’ll miss someone until they’ve gone.

My deepest sympathy goes out to the families of both men.

As a very young man I started working for both Frank and Glen and had a huge amount of admiration for these 2 great men. When the split came I stayed with Glen, I thought it would be more fun and it certainly was! You all know the kind of things, be it in the air, on the ground or on the town.

To me Glen was my boss who quickly became my friend and on occasion, when I needed it most, a farther figure. I still have the knife he gave me on my birthday many years ago.

Perhaps, now he will once again be able to fly with his son Lincoln, no doubt in very close formation.

Mark

skua
17th Mar 2004, 21:15
Encountered Glen on the London-Sydney race - he was well-known to my fellow crew. Glen had a wicked twinkle and struck me as the instructor-made-in-heaven. Enjoy it, Glen, and I am sure you will continue to enrich the lives of aviators.

Skua

EGPFlyer
17th Mar 2004, 21:43
RIP Pete. A friend who will be missed.

fletchair
18th Mar 2004, 10:40
I always wanted to be a pilot since I can remember and when I was 13 I was given a flying gift card to fly for an hour with glen. It was the best hour of my life. I was so nervous but Glen being how he was but me at ease and made flying seem easy and so fun and my dream of being a pilot soon became a reality! I flew solo on my 16th birthday got my PPL shortly after my 17th. Without glen and Mel I dont know if I would be where I am now. Glen always encouraged me when I needed it most and best of all I knew he believed I could do it.
I went flying yesterday, I thought I would feel empty and struggle but I was fine, because Glen can watch over us now.
Glen has been a huge part of my aviation life as of yet and everything he has taught me I value. For all of those people Glen taught and knew he will live on through our hearts and through our flying ("two reds, two whites....)
AF

kitt stewart
18th Mar 2004, 19:10
As Glens sister, I was sitting today looking over the Solwat Firth recalling the excitement on board when we launched Soloflight, remembering all those wonderful people from the early years, you know who you are, the fun we had, the adventures, the places he took us to, truly magical times with a magical brother who actually could make poeples dreams come true, lots of love Big Bro.

George T
18th Mar 2004, 23:10
EGPFlyer.

Yes

To Pete and Glen and I'm glad there was no other with them.
I know on the day We'll all drink a tost to them both.

PPRuNe Towers
19th Mar 2004, 13:25
A message to all on the forum from Glenn's daughters:

We feel truly overwhelmed, Glen is our dad, and we just wanted to thank everyone for their kind wishes, especially those of you who also remembered our brother Lincoln, dad and he were very close, and are now again. All those who knew dad know that flying was his life, and my sister and I know he died where he was happiest.Men like him don't come along very often and we are privileged to have been his children.

Thankyou once again, it means alot to nicky and I to know how many people respected and loved our dad. Our thoughts and wishes go out to the family of Peter McNeil, who also died in the accident,

Natalie and Nicola Stewart

George T
19th Mar 2004, 14:54
Mel has asked me to let everyone know that Soloflight now have a message board that doesn’t require registration so it may be easier for some to post a message a message there.

You can get to it Here (http://www.soloflight.co.uk/main.html)

Wee Ali
22nd Mar 2004, 01:56
When I heard the news of a Cessna 310 accident, my first thought was that I hadn't seen Pete for a while & vowed to catch up...
I first met him at my flying club a few years ago.He was a whole-hearted,enthusiastic & fascinating person in a lot of ways. I am so very sad for his family & partner at this awful news.
Enjoy the new wings,guys..You will be missed :(

George T
23rd Mar 2004, 10:37
Message from Mel

We will be celebrating Glen's life, achievements and experiences on Sunday 2nd May. EVERYONE who knew Glen, however briefly, is welcome. The venue has yet to be decided, but more information will be posted as soon as I have it. Please let me know if you would like to come so I can add you to the contact list. We all look forward to seeing you. Thank you.

Cheers,
Mel
x

Groundside
27th Mar 2004, 14:01
Two weeks have now 'Flown By' with over 5600 visits to this site to read, or add to the Tributes to Glen.

In addition many have left their messages, or have viewed the 'Soloflight' Web site.

Most likely many will have taken a moment to remember him whilst flying or in their own way.

As is fitting, the Tributes themselves will stand as a Lasting Memorial to Glen.

In going forward, Mel has expressed a wish to create a 'Living Memorial' to Glen and feels that one useful way of doing this would be to offer a 'Glen Stewart Flying Scholarship', which will be offered each year to a deserving applicant. over 15, enabling them to obtain a PPL.

It is possible that other options or ideas may be forthcoming from readers, which will either help to refine this idea, (or generate others).

Thus your thoughts, views and ideas are invited to assist to make this a worthy and sucessful quest!

Please respond either here, or directly to Mel on the Soloflight web site.

Thanks once again to all of you!

George T
13th May 2004, 15:21
From Mel

Dear Melanie

Just to let you know, there is a feeling within Hotham village that we would like to have a short service (prayers) to pay our respects to Glen and his colleague Peter. This is scheduled for Tuesday 17th August at 7.30 in the evening, and will take place in the field itself.
You and any of your family and friends will of course be very welcome to join us.
Regards,

Christian Carver
Hotham