PDA

View Full Version : B757 Smoke Trails

eyeinthesky
13th Mar 2004, 00:04
Watching a Thomas Cook 757 (forget the reg) take off from Salzburg the other week, I noticed that the left engine was emitting a smoke trail whilst the right was not. It was not an excessive trail, just noticeable that there was nothing from the other one.

What would cause one engine to make more smoke than the other? I imagine that anything in the fuel wouls affect them both.

expedite_climb
13th Mar 2004, 00:31
Was it the left engine ?

seat 0A
13th Mar 2004, 01:05
probably just chemtrails:}

Virginia Plane
13th Mar 2004, 01:48
Don't know for sure but could it be the difference between a phase 2 combustor on one side and a phase 5 on the other?

Golden Rivet
13th Mar 2004, 02:16
Probably just a high time engine. Not unusual.

Noah Zark.
13th Mar 2004, 06:38
Still got the choke out!
(This possibly may only be understood by lovers of older motor vehicles!) :D

av8boy
13th Mar 2004, 14:29
Nonsense. The choke controlls both engines at the same time. Anyway, I think all them newer 75s are either injected or have the automatic choke.

Prolly a bad ring.

Dave

expedite_climb
13th Mar 2004, 16:25
eyeinthesky,

Okay, I didnt RTFQ.

Sensible answers are as VP says it could have two different phase engines. (At least one TCX aircraft has this).

Other possibility is, both engines are identical, but of course are mounted at different angles to the horizontal due to dihedral. The net result is it is not unsual to see an aircraft with less oil qty in the left than the right.

Whilts this may be the answer, I'm not overly convincing myself, didnt think it'd be that obvious on t/o. Have seen it smoking on the ground after shutdown though, particularly if it had been recently topped up.

eyeinthesky
14th Mar 2004, 19:35
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered that the engines could actually be different.

I must confess I watched it disappear into the cloud and half-wondered whether it would reappear because the right engine wasn't working... But then I couldn't see any major rudder deflection.

Thanks for the info.

*Lancer*
15th Mar 2004, 04:51
At least it wasn't that perpetually playing up number 2 engine again!

Maybe it had just had an oil change and was burning a bit of the excess...

Volume
15th Mar 2004, 05:21
Maybe the left engine was a diesel ?

Noah Zark.
15th Mar 2004, 17:10
Don't think so. Eyeinthesky didn't say anything about it sounding like a can of marbles rattling when it went past! :p

747FOCAL
15th Mar 2004, 18:01
one engine was probably operating at a higher temp than the other.