PDA

View Full Version : A 320 joy ? stick

cognomultani
29th Feb 2004, 23:56
Hi folks ,

does anybody describe me the feelings & operational differences of

the A320 joystick .

( passing from B 734 to A320 in may 04 )

Thanks

Spearing Britney
1st Mar 2004, 00:54
The Airbus sidestick seems to be a cause for concern for many when they know they are changing to it. However, it is very intuitive nobody I know on the type found it a problem. There is no feedback from it either which some people expect. A couple of circuits and you forget all about it being different! Enjoy the Bus!

Kestrel_909
1st Mar 2004, 01:22
But does using the sidestick as easy as using a conventional yoke, in the LHS, providing you are right handed?

I've tried using joysticks with games with my left hand, but just never adjusted to it.

Spearing Britney
1st Mar 2004, 07:05
Well most people fly light aircraft with their left hand in the left seat with the throttles on their right. Never a problem (to the best of my knowledge) for anyone skippering a bus, been with a few new 4 stripers recently and they agree - you don't notice after a couple of circuits, whichever seat.

ROB-x38
1st Mar 2004, 08:34
I've always found that a stick allows a much greater accuracy than a yoke, although i've flown nothing over 4 seats and i'd hazard a guess ;) the mechanical linkages i'm used to are a far cry from the FBW in the bus.

Busdrvr
1st Mar 2004, 10:12
The most common problem I have seen with people moving into the Bus, is the expectation of a "normal" feedback from it. The Airbus is not designed to be hand flown, so the feedback from the stick, is different from other types. Not any more or less difficult, just different. All pilots adjust to it fine, however I have found younger pilots, used to playing computer based games, adapt quicker.

One of the first things we teach is to stop stirring the pot. New Bus pilots have a tendency to over correct, getting themselves into self induced osscilations. This basic rule is to just remind guys to just let go of the stick when they start to do this, allowing the aircraft to stabilize.

Boeing 7E7
3rd Mar 2004, 03:46
The over correction that pilots can have when hand flying the Airbus, is more to do with the "flight control laws" than the side stick versus a yoke.

T O G A Boy
3rd Mar 2004, 13:48
the bus is a very stable aircraft. when u tend to overcorrect just let go of the stick and the a/c will start to stabilize itself. the only time u tend to over correct is when the a/c unfortunately goes to direct law. now it's a totally different issue. but overall the sidestick is a great feling although u have no feedback. within a few circuits, it seems very natural managing it. i personally find it more enjoyable than the yoke, although the yoke seemed like proper flying.. enjoy the BUs.

Lemurian
4th Mar 2004, 01:19
But does using the sidestick as easy as using a conventional yoke, in the LHS, providing you are right handed?
Yes it is easier,as you do not have the akward arc motion of the wheel around its axis (it's now quite noticeable to me,after my 'Bus experience}.
The over correction that pilots can have when hand flying the Airbus, is more to do with the "flight control laws" than the side stick versus a yoke
I have seen Pilot-induced-oscillations on every airplane I have flown.Just depends on how alert/tired/"switched-on the pilot is at that particular moment.The "KISS" motto was invented in aviation training long before the 320 happened.

cognomultani
4th Mar 2004, 18:32
Thank you to all that reply to my question about A320 joystick ,

but in my work I like to be practical ;

WHAT ABOUT A LANDING WITH A320 joystick in SKIATOS (GR) with

20kts crosswind ?

Now a feel familiar to do it on the B 734 but what about the A320 ?

Thank you folks .

Lemurian
4th Mar 2004, 20:15
Cognomultani

You have to know that upon landing,the control law of the 'Bus reverts to that of of a classical airplane,therefore you could land it using whatever technique you like;sideslip upwind wing down,crabbing...no decrabbing...
Your instructors will teach you THE airline recommended procedure.I suggest you listen to them.
Just be aware that the control response is faster than your 737,but it's again a question of adaptation.
The only discomfort I felt qualifying on the 320 was a feeling of...er...nakedness!,without the big Boeing column in front of me.
It took about a month to pass...
Enjoy your new toy!

Man Flex
5th Mar 2004, 02:34
The control laws on the Airbus 319/320/321/330/340 do NOT revert to 'a conventional aeroplane' until after you have touched down.

Right down to the flare any lateral input demands a RATE of roll - you cannot hold the sidestick deflected during a crosswind in order to maintain a wing down, the aircraft would only continue to roll at a prescribed rate.

Maxrev
6th Mar 2004, 00:53
Cognomultani,

Don't get too hung up on the various laws of the 'bus.

After a Boeing like the 734 a 'bus may seem a little intimidating but remember it's like any aeroplane - push the stick forward and the houses get bigger, pull back and they get smaller et al...

It's like getting a new mobile phone or a new VCR. The thing carries out the same job, but the interface has been shrunk and re-presented.

If you've ever played computer games with a joystick then you'll be surprised how natural it feels.

After a couple of circuits you'll be fine.

If you are landing in choppy weather though, don't be scared by how much stick deflection is going on. Remember that unlike in the 734 you're not moving the surfaces, the computer is! The 'feel' is different to a yoke and gives you less feedback in such conditions. Don't be afraid to to yank it around a bit to get it where you want.

On that nugget I'll be off.

Max

mcdhu
6th Mar 2004, 21:39
Slightly 'tongue in cheek' description of the 'bus flight control laws:

''Push forward - it might go down,
Pull back - it might go up,
All depends on the speed really!''

Cheers,
mcdhu

Lemurian
7th Mar 2004, 03:00
Manflex
I stand by what I said,but will accept proofs.The change between flight/ground mode and vice-versa is a gradual one.

mcdhu,
Tongue in cheek,the "push forward,might go down"bit must have worked well somehow as you are back on terra firma!Would you dare to try the "pull back,might go up"exercise to-morrow?

Priority BOTH!
7th Mar 2004, 07:56
If you're flying an A320 in a gusty conditions, I (and my company/Airbus) suggest Flap 3 rather than Full. Same with a 321 to a lesser extent. Responsiveness in roll seems much better with Flap 3 - without it you'll sometimes find that max sidestick deflection is not enough and that you want the aeroplane to respond quicker than the computers will allow. If you're "stirring it" on approach, take your hand off for a few seconds and remember the aeroplane is trying to fly what you asked without too much help!

You'll find the sidestick totally natural after a couple of circuits and no trimming needed - like CWS on a 737. Just point it where you want it and let go. The FPV is one of the best things since sliced bread (not as good as Sky Plus, mind). Just put the aeroplane circle on the horizon and you're level, regardless of speed.

Enjoy!

Man Flex
7th Mar 2004, 17:51
Lemurian

I stand by what I said, "When the aircraft is in flare mode, the lateral control is the same as in flight mode" : FCOM Vol 1.

It is very obvious to me that the aircraft does not handle conventionally during the flare.

However you are right in that the system "blends in" the flight mode as soon as the aircraft becomes airborne, the whole process taking five seconds.

Kestrel_909
7th Mar 2004, 18:02
I believe you now that using the side stick with your left hand isn't all that difficult after some practice. I've been trying to use the joystick in my left hand with some PC games including Flight Sim and I can do it, but the joystick being for a right hand doesn't make things any easier :)

I am right in saying that the side sticks are spring loaded, and there is no feedback from the control surfaces themselves?

Priority BOTH!
8th Mar 2004, 01:25
Yes, spring loaded to neutral and quite heavily damped like pushing against treacle. No feedback from the surfaces. A given deflection gives different responses depending on what "control law" you're in. 99.9% of the time this is Normal Law, but you'll meet Alternate and Direct Law in the sim no doubt after failures.

Lemurian
9th Mar 2004, 04:38
Manflex
I stand corrected and I owe you a pint of your favourite brew!Name time and place.
Regards