PDA

View Full Version : boring antigua question

keendog
26th Feb 2004, 22:33
I've just returned from 10 days under the approach path to VC Bird.
Is there any particular reason why traffic arriving from the North/North West seems to overfly the field before doing a 180 onto the approach. Wouldn't it be a bit quicker/save a bit of fuel to route a bit further north and then simply turn left onto the approach?
Incidentally, US aircraft seemed to do left hand 180s and UK aircraft right hand 180s. Was this just coincidence/ATC or is it up to the commander at relatively remote locations like this to arrive on the approach profile as he sees fit?
Apologies if there are obvious answers.

av8boy
26th Feb 2004, 23:43
I don't know the answer, but I must say I'm delighted to find that there is another person in the world who could spend 10 days in antigua and come away with questions about air ops.

And I had felt so alone!

Dave :ok:

ETOPS
27th Feb 2004, 03:17
keendog

I have been operating BA777's into ANU for 3 years now. What you are seeing is the result of V C Bird's ATC playing things safe and quite a few pilot's reluctance to deviate from "European" procedures.

Arrivals into ANU will be given a clearance to the Antigua VOR at the lowest level available above safety altitude and in respect of departing traffic - remember no radar here. If the crew do not elect to fly a visual approach when in sight of the field they will be cleared for a procedural VOR approach. From memory this starts at about 7000 ft altitude, hence the long descent and turn to the west.

If the weather is good my preferred option is to call field in sight a soon as is safe and perform a left visual approach from 2500 ft over the North coast. By careful use of speedbrake/flaps/gear/power (and not overflying St Johns) you can roll out on finals at 900 ft in a safe landing config. This saves quite a few minutes flying and announces our arrival to the crew hotel at Dickenson Bay.....

woodpecker
27th Feb 2004, 03:49
This pilot finds <quite a few pilot's reluctance to deviate from "European" procedures"> and <This saves quite a few minutes flying and announces our arrival to the crew hotel at Dickenson Bay.....> rather strange comments.

This Captain after such a longhaul flight would decline the VOR approach and route to a six mile final. Thereafter the aircraft is fullyestablished before the turbulence which can be very exciting with a SE wind!

Why risk a rushed approach, especially when the young inexperienced copilot cannot see the runway from the RHS during the base turn?

ETOPS
27th Feb 2004, 13:47
woodpecker

It's an "on the day decision". If the weather is poor or the trades blowing then yes, the full procedure is appropriate. Another reason would be if it was the co-pilots leg then I would fly the approach he required. Also if it was my leg and thus his approach (remember this is BA!) he might not want to fly the visual as you say.

Two last points; for the last 3 years there have been no or very few new conversions to the fleet P2 status thus most co-pilots are experienced.

Reference the crew hotel - this is a lighthearted comment as flying is for me still fun !