PDA

View Full Version : Longest taxi distance

phnuff
23rd Feb 2004, 01:34
At lunchtime, as Phnufflet and I sat in a plane full of Zombies which was taxiing from Schiphol gate D12 to half way to Denmark in order to take off to the north, it occured to me that we had been constantly on the move for about 10 minutes and hadn't taken off. Two questions came into my mind

How far is that particular runway from gate D12
Is that the greatest distance that aircraft taxi before they take off, or is there somewhere even further ?

Can anyone answer these for me
Ta

Heatseeker
23rd Feb 2004, 01:42
Phnuff
dunno how far you drove but departures from runway 08R at HNL also seem to take forever. Usual p/a from the cockpit is "well ladies and gemums we've taxied about as far as we can, guess we'll have to fly the rest of the way"

Heat

fast cruiser
23rd Feb 2004, 02:35
distance from D16 to 36L at AMS about 4 miles direct, once you have taxies via the south taxiway it is nearer 5 miles.

Has taken 15 minutes plus sometimes to taxi to the Delta stands
from landing on 18R.

Not sure if it is the furthest but its a ******* long way!!!

maybe ryanair should use it, they could call it schipol west!!!!!

phnuff
23rd Feb 2004, 02:49
Heck - that is a long way. Thanks

Heat, does that beat HNL ?

Anyone want to suggest anywhere with a greater distance ?

BlueEagle
23rd Feb 2004, 05:13
LAX - Landing on 24R and then taxying to the ICC Freight terminal. You have to exit one runway and cross three others!
Can take about 45 minutes and four frequency changes. The route takes you from the most North Westerly point of the airfield to the most South Easterly!

JFK - from the LH Terminal, taxying for r/w 04 can take about an hour at peak time, no kidding, in a B744 we would add 5 tons fuel for taxying. Exit parking area and turn left to join the queue which takes up all the taxy way to threshold r/w 13R, all of r/w 13R to the intersection with taxyway for r/w 04L and all the taxy way to the threshold of r/w 04L - miles and miles!

FlyboyBen
23rd Feb 2004, 19:43
I seem to remember taxiing for ages at IAH, George Bush International, Houston. A good 10 minutes at least from runway to stand

ORAC
24th Feb 2004, 02:31
CDG must be close to the top of the list.

On a LAX flight after a very prolonged trip around the French countryside, "For those of you carrying on to Nice - I think we've arrived".

BRL
24th Feb 2004, 03:16
Can anyone remember that quote I think from the BA skipper when taxiing for ages along the lines of "Hello ladies and gentlemen, I can assure you we are not driving to London this morning and we should be airborne very shortly....." Classic quote... (if true.) :ok:

mattpilot
24th Feb 2004, 04:28
Never been to Denver, but given the rather far away spaced runways, wouldn't they have long taxi times?

moo
24th Feb 2004, 06:15
harare has a runway approx 5km long (second longest in the world i'm informed) and it feels like the taxi takes forever (and thats with us trundling along at what feels like 70mph!)

WhiskeyNovember
25th Feb 2004, 12:11
Detroit can be long as well. Landing on 21L sometimes required taxiing via Whiskey-Tango-Kilo-Victor to what used to be the old South Terminal. About 4 miles or so.

-WN

av8boy
25th Feb 2004, 14:41
LAX - Landing on 24R...
Blue... From time to time aircraft going to the south side of the airport are allowed to land on one of the runways further to the left. Might want to make your needs a little more clear, unless you prefer an approach to Westchester rather than El Segundo... :D

"Ah, approach, we'll be parking at the Proud Bird tonight and I wonder if we might get the south complex?"

You splitter
25th Feb 2004, 16:37
The fastest turn round in the world I've ever witnessed was at ZRH. They close 28 at 1900 (I think) due noise restriction. Aircraft parked on Foxtrots (near to 28). 15 minutes to go.
Guess the skipper didn't wanna wait in line half way across the airfield for runways 16 or 14!
:ok:

BlueEagle
25th Feb 2004, 18:52
av8boy - The times I have asked for 25L!!! Even at the crack of dawn and coming in from Anchorage we still got 24R or 06L. The company did talk to ATC and it was agreed that they would help when they could but unless your arrival was from the South or the East inevitably it was 24R. (max landing weight on the 744 freighter is 320tonnes which makes 24R just a bit 'tight'!:oh: ).

av8boy
26th Feb 2004, 00:18
Blue...

Now I get it. So you roll out on the downwind over SMO, look off your right and see the promised land... the south complex. It's there, shimmering in the bright promise of the new day. You know those runways exist. They are simply unattainable. The thing that stands between you and them is between you and them: 24R. Sure, those QFA and ANZ 744s coming in over SXC get the 25s. Why not you...

Actually, I have it on pretty good authority that a bunch of folks from the right downwind, including an AAR 744 from PANC, landed on the south complex just before sunrise on Monday morning... Although we all know that sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. You've got to hit the sweet spot just right...

:(

Dave

Them 25s ain't just for crossing at right angles...

BlueEagle
26th Feb 2004, 04:43
Right on the money av8boy!:ok: