PDA

View Full Version : APU startup

mjc507
21st Feb 2004, 10:04
Hello All,

I am interested to know, after reading an article about airport noise, when the APU is started. I think I might have read ten minutes before pushback, but not sure. (It also saves the lifespan on the APU, I would guess). I think the heavies can operate fully on the ground power for flightdeck preperations but what about the 737? Doesn't the APU have to be running on this plane in order to deal with the A/C, bleeds and packs?

Just curious about this.

Cheers,

Michael

mjc507
21st Feb 2004, 19:51
7p3i7lot,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the response.

Cheers,

Michael

alexban
21st Feb 2004, 20:12
7p3i7lot

how do you know you'll have the ground power available on stand? On most airports they won't give you the same stand every time,and you don't have ground power available on every stand ( ex: LHR ,FRA, MAD...)

7p3i7lot

how do you know you'll have the ground power available on stand? On most airports they won't give you the same stand every time,and you don't have ground power available on every stand ( ex: LHR ,FRA, MAD...)
You know the ground power availability for every stand?
Even so,from my experience,the ground people will not insert the ground power every time,so you'll have to tell them and wait with the engine on untill they do so.
And I don't know the figures,but how about the ground power costs compared to Apu usage cost (about 1 hr,some 100 kg fuel, operating costs..) Some airports tend to have high ramp costs ,I think.
Thks Alex :ok:

HZ123
21st Feb 2004, 20:40
Nearly all stands at major airports throughout EU have FEGP (fixed electric ground power) and if for any reason it is unserviceable a mobile GPU (ground power unit) would be used. It is correct that should any additional work such as bleeds and packs the apu (aircraft power unit) would be run up.

Pilot Pete
21st Feb 2004, 23:03
apu (aircraft power unit)

Isn't it 'Auxiliary Power Unit'?

PP;)

pilotwolf
22nd Feb 2004, 02:01
..can't get to the MDI at the moment but I think that BAA at LGW insist that stand power is used at any/all times when available.

In the interests of noise abatement and the enviroment...

PW