PDA

View Full Version : Are Infant Seatbelts Mandatory?

leftseatview
19th Feb 2004, 13:09
Hi
Are Infant seatbelts a mandatory requirement?
i fly for an airline which carries infant lifejackets but not infant seatbelts.
However,when flying other airlines (like BA,Lufthansa etc.) while on interline, i have noticed that they have a provision for seatbelts for infants(less than 2 years old) who are seated on the lap for take off and landings.
They are basically smaller seatbelts which are attached to the seatbelt of the adult carrying the infant,by a loop.
To me this appears to be a very good safety innovation.
So could someone give me some background regulatory info on this ?
i can then initiate an effort to have these made available in my airline.
Thanks in advance from the little ones who fly with us!

ramsrc
19th Feb 2004, 14:27
As I understand it, infant seatbelts are (incredibly :ooh: ) not a mandatory requirement.

Having said that, if I am booking a flight and I don't know if infant belts are available then I ask. If they are not available, then I don't fly.

I remember seeing a programme a few years ago where the survivor of an aircrash was interviewed. The woman concerned was holding an infant in her arms, which was wrenched free during the crash. She never saw her baby again. Of course, there are no guarantees even with a belt - but the thought of the same scenario with my son doesn't bear thinking about.

Please do everything you can to get belts made available on your airline. :O

panavia
19th Feb 2004, 16:25
I dont know if they are, but the airline i work for, the infant seatbelts are also used as extension seatbelts, so it would be adventageous for any carrier to have them!

CharlyDelta
19th Feb 2004, 16:54
Hi,

According JAR-OPS 1.730 an operator shall not operate an aeroplane unless it is equipped with a supplementary loop belt or
other restraint device for each infant.

leftseatview
20th Feb 2004, 01:17
Thank You,
ramsrc,panavia,and Charly Delta for your prompt responses.
i plan to write to our flt safety department about this.
will refer to JAR-OPS.
Our regulatory authority usually follows all JAR,FAA CARS.
So if i can find the relevant rule,that should get things moving.
if not,will try and get the airline to do it Voluntarily, using annecdotal evidence.
i saw a programme on "Discovery" about the Sioux City. DC 10 accident on 19th July 1989,which had 4 infants being carried on lap,and of which their was one fatality.
i have book of records which says that NTSB called for child restraints in airline operations,following this accident.
However,the FAA appearently later rejected this proposal "reasoning" higher cost would make this proposal counterproductive,by forcing parents from lower income groups to drive!
Wonder if they have since changed that line of reasoning.
Our Airline does have a supply of extension seatbelts at major bases,for oversize Pax.
Maybe its time to get them to order up a larger multipurpose inventory for wider distribution.