PDA

View Full Version : Landing Restriction? AA @ LHR

NineEighteen
19th Feb 2004, 04:06
I was due to collect someone from LHR the other day. In order to time my journey to the airport I listened in on ATC for the incoming flight.

The flight checked in on freq at around 0520 and the ATCO asked if he had a 'landing restriction'. He replied that he did and that it was 0602; so he was instructed to take up the hold. A few minutes later another aircraft was asked the same and replied '0601'.

I assume this 'landing restriction' is to do with noise abatement but why specifically 0602/0601? The aircraft was a AA 777 if it's significant.

Thanks

Jerricho
19th Feb 2004, 08:58
Hi NineEighteen,

Jet aircraft operating through Heathrow at night are subject to limits and operating restrictions, which are determined by the government. Operationally, our "curfew" ends at 0600 (there are noise abatement procedures that differ a little for each runway), but basically, if an operator has a time restriction, they don't land before 0600 (There are a few slots exempt from this).

The night restriction you heard ATC ask the pilot about is reference this. I believe BA in particular states their a/c have a 0602 restriction to ensure there is no way they will land before 0600 (I guess they don't trust ATC to ensure they will land after the hour). Some operators use 0601 for the same reason I guess.

Hope this helps.

Musket90
20th Feb 2004, 00:16
LHR night restrictions (2330-0600hrs local) have only limited movement quota for each summer/winter season and demand far exceeds the quota available so strict control of quota useage needs to be imposed to make sure the quota is not used up before the end of each season. Only those airlines scheduled to operate between 2330 and 0600 are allocated quota, there are few exceptions eg delays etc.

In practice this means for example that early morning transatlantic arrivals which are scheduled to land after 0600 but because of tailwinds arrive at the stack 30 mins early have to hold in the air until landing 0601 or later. If they all landed before 0600 then quota would quickly run out.

Quota useage is monitored constantly throughout each season and airlines are kept up to date on how it should be used.

Jerricho
20th Feb 2004, 03:25
Just as a further to Musket's post, if the airport is in Low Visibility, all aircraft become exempt from night noise quota and can commence an approach and land before 0600 rather than hold.

Musket90
21st Feb 2004, 03:04
Thanks Jerricho - I should have mentioned low vis exemptions, but this only applies if there is risk of running out of quota before end of season. Flights scheduled to land after 0600 which land before 0600 in low vis procedures are counted against quota at the time but Government may exempt them later the same season only if it means these specific movements cause quota to run out by end of season.

Jerricho
21st Feb 2004, 19:38
And thanks to you Musket,

I must admit, I can never work out all that quota stuff. Hard enough at that time of the morning working out who can land and who can't. There has been more than one occasion it has been extablished on first contact they are restricted, only to realise after holding for a few minutes they aren't restricted. :ok:

NineEighteen
22nd Feb 2004, 19:09
Thanks very much for the replies, it makes more sense now!

P.S. Good luck with wherever you're off to in 2 weeks Jerricho. I suspect it may be Canada...if it is....then extra good luck because I was there in Dec and it was v.cold indeed! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/19.gif

0918 ;)

Jerricho
23rd Feb 2004, 01:00
Very kind of you 0918.

You suspected right. Gonna learn the definition of cold.

Cheers.

cwatters
23rd Feb 2004, 02:38
The night restriction you heard ATC ask the pilot about is reference this. I believe BA in particular states their a/c have a 0602 restriction to ensure there is no way they will land before 0600 (I guess they don't trust ATC to ensure they will land after the hour). Some operators use 0601 for the same reason I guess.

This all sounds a bit daft. I mean it make no difference to folks living down below if they land at 05:59:59 or 06:00:01.

Who's watch to they use anyway?

PAXboy
23rd Feb 2004, 21:29
So, on a typical mornig, by the time the clock shows 06:00:59 - how many a/c are burning fuel in the hold (all such relevant holds in the LTMA)?

Jerricho
23rd Feb 2004, 21:51
PAXboy - Anywhere upwards of 15-20, sometimes more, sometimes less. And some mornings if we can't use both runways (WIP etc...), then the delays start for the day and can reach on well in to the morning. Also it's not uncommon to have customers turn up to the holds at 0530ish. 15-20 minute holding straight away. I have often wondered what they tell the passengers ;).

Unfortunately we don't make the rules, just adhere to them.

NineEighteen
24th Feb 2004, 01:43
Also it's not uncommon to have customers turn up to the holds at 0530ish. 15-20 minute holding straight away. I have often wondered what they tell the passengers I'm told that, even before departure, the Captain announced it would be a short flight across the Atlantic but that there would be a delay at LHR. No change there then... :}

....although he did say it was for noise abatement.

Thanks all

Jerricho
24th Feb 2004, 02:08
Ahhhh....that is refreshing to know!

Thanks 0918!