PDA

View Full Version : Quicky re. Military Low Flying Nr. Wellington Monument

The Farmer
17th Feb 2004, 05:07
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if Wellington Monument acts as some sort of waypoint for the RAF? Over the last few months we [living near by] have been overflown by numerous Hercules, Tornado, Hawk, Jaguar a/c and I think it might be something to do with Wellington monument being an obvious waypoint when you're low level. I'm owed pints if true.

The Dunkeswell a/d bumf also mentions the need for caution when operating to the NW due to low-flying mil.

It scares the beejesus out of the cows you butch horrors you.

Moo.

[Hoping to catch a mil. type browsing this forum - way too scared to post to the proper mil. forum.]

oxford blue
17th Feb 2004, 19:03
Well, I certainly used it when I was military low flying many years ago, so I expect the current generation still do now.

The Farmer
17th Feb 2004, 19:10
Bless you, Oxford Blue.

Nozzles
20th Feb 2004, 03:06
Any unique feature with vertical extent that shows up above the horizon when low flying is an excellent turnpoint for those navigating visually. However, these days many fast jet navigation systems are so accurate and reliable you don't need a visual feature as a backup.

The ol' Welly Monny never failed to get me back to Yeovilton from the West.......

Sliding member
21st Feb 2004, 17:14
Whilst we're on this subject, not too far from here I've seen low level RN Jetstreams plodding about Very low though I'm sure not less than 250' (looks impressive from my back garden, which is on the side of a very shallow valley, side on at the a/c). Just wondered what these A/c generally do are they Nav trainers?