PDA

View Full Version : Flying Over the age of 60?

Oxford1G
16th Feb 2004, 23:38
Hi,

Does anyone have an accurate list that would tell me what areas of the world, you are allowed to fly in as a professional pilot over the age of 60 years. Can you still fly in India?

Thanks,

Elliot Moose
17th Feb 2004, 09:44
Canada for one! I know of professional pilots who have worked well past--they just can't cross the 49th parallel anymore!;)

BlueEagle
17th Feb 2004, 14:05
At the moment the places you CANNOT fly over sixty, (without a dispensation), as a commercial pilot are:

France, Italy, India and the USA

and there maybe more!

DanAir1-11
18th Feb 2004, 11:56
It really is ridiculous IMHO. Your fitness to fly, as opposed to age should dictate the outcome. Granted, the onset of sudden severe medical conditions are more likely to occur with an increase in age, but hell, 25 year olds have heart attacks too. I intend to fly for as long as I feel capable of doing so safely. There is a lot to be said for experience.

PIA747
18th Feb 2004, 13:22
North East Airlines registered in Swaziland, has been hiring L1011 crews aged over 60 but under 65.

Hudson
18th Feb 2004, 18:24
There have been recent advertisements in Australian newspapers offering jobs on A300-600's for an airline called air Hong Kong (with a small"a"). Apparently it will be a freight operation. No age limits given. While the age 60 limit for captains is generally enforced in SE Asia, does anyone know if there are age limits for first officers?

yotter
18th Feb 2004, 20:31
As far as I know, the industry standard is 60 for captains and 65 for copilots, with the exceptions above. There doesn't seem to be a limit on the age of a flight engineer. Industrial agreements and pension contracts also come into play at BA and other big operators to force retirement at 55. In European we have do have some trainers and management pilots flying in command over 60, but limited geographically - all very experienced guys who pass their sim. checks and medicals. Isn't there some legislation in the pipeline about the right to work past 65? I'm not sure if it will apply to aircrew, though.
Cheers, Yotter