PDA

View Full Version : F/E on the B767

Capt. J. Patroni
15th Feb 2004, 03:16
Can remember something that Ansett flew their B767's with a Flight Engineer. Can anybody tell me how the flightdeck looked like and what happened with the planes and F/E's later on?

exeng
15th Feb 2004, 03:26
I positioned on an Ansett 767 in the late 80's. Being an F/E at the time myself I visited the flight deck to say hello. As I recall the F/E had access to EICAS on the 'panel' such as it was.

I'm sorry but I don't know what happened to the aircraft or the F/E's. I suspect the aircraft would have been re-converted to 2 crew operation.

Regards
Exeng

Dan Winterland
15th Feb 2004, 18:25
Must have been a mind numbing job - the guys would have been bored out of thier minds.

I think Air France also fly engineers on their 747-400s. A union thing I gather.

Blip
15th Feb 2004, 19:29
I'm sorry to say that they are suffering a slow and undignified end out at Melbourne airport.

They haven't really flown since September 2001. I think I heard one on the radio a little over a year ago going for test drive around the Melbourne area. Perhaps someone was looking to buy.

One was broken up a few months back.

Very sad. :(

Smedley
15th Feb 2004, 22:43
The first productions of B-767's were with a FE station. Some genius in the NTSB said that with proper modifications, the FE station could be eliminated, and it was on most airlines.

When I bid for B-767 Capt in 1982, it had a FE. When I reported for training, it had none. I missed the FE. Th FO had to do the preflight, and got no experience in Ops with the Captain, among other things.

I think if there had been an FE in the planes that were hijacked on 911, 3 men in the cockpits could have saved the day.