PDA

View Full Version : 737 NG Ops

reverserunlocked
12th Feb 2004, 00:29
Hello all, got a few questions about the 737 NG, but any heavy iron drivers would be able to help. Sorry there are so many!

- How soon after departure do you switch off the landing lights, and when during the approach do they go back on?

- When do use the 'wing' lights?

- When would you require the 'runway turnoff' lights?

- If you've got ground power connected, when does the APU go on? Before G/P is disconnected, or started from the battery after pushback? Upon arrival, if you don't need the APU do you wait for G/P connection before shutting down?

- Which lights would you leave on during turnaround? ie position, logo?

- If you were being vectored for final with no speed restriction, say for a 10 mile FAF, what kind of speeds would you feel comfortable maintaining throughout the various stages of the approach?

Also I'm travelling on EZY's NCL-BRS next week, could someone give me the routing, so I can show off by pointing out where we are? I'm guessing it's something like NCL-POL-BCN-BRS or thereabouts?

EightsOnPylons
12th Feb 2004, 02:34
Hi there reverserunlocked!

I will try and give your questions a shot..

1. How soon after departure do you switch off the landing lights, and when during the approach do they go back on?

- passing 10 000 feet on climbout all landing lights (fixed/retractable) go off. For descent/landing the fixed landing lights come on at 10000, and when landing clearance is received also the retractable landing lights come on.

2. When do use the 'wing' lights?

- Wing lights can be used during flight control check on the ground during taxi, but also during flight to check for ice build up on the wings.

3. If you've got ground power connected, when does the APU go on? Before G/P is disconnected, or started from the battery after pushback? Upon arrival, if you don't need the APU do you wait for G/P connection before shutting down?

- Usually when all papers are on board that is when you start the APU. After starting the APU you manually switch from ground power to APU power directly on the overhead panel. The lights in the cabin will go "blink, blink" .. The same will happen when you switch from APU Power to engine generators (2x) after the engines are started. Upon arrival if you are not using the APU you wait for ground power before shutting the engines down. That is why there could be a wait on the ground from the moment the captain stops the aircraft and the seatbelt sign is switched off.

4. Which lights would you leave on during turnaround? ie position, logo?

- that is correct

5. If you were being vectored for final with no speed restriction, say for a 10 mile FAF, what kind of speeds would you feel comfortable maintaining throughout the various stages of the approach?

-before turning final around 190-200 kts, 160 kts on final to about 4 miles from the touchdown, then Vref+5 kts after 4 miles to the touchdown zone

Hope this is some help to you,
EightsOnPylons