PDA

View Full Version : Aileron into crosswind

Allan
9th Feb 2004, 22:30
I fly 737 and have often wondered how much aileron one should apply in crosswind conditions. On the 737, if you apply apprx. more than 10 degrees of aileron, you also get spoiler deflection, which deteriorates the aircraft performance on the runway and especially if experiencing an engine failure. On the other hand, if you perform a max crosswind t/o, 10 degrees of aileron doesn't seem to do a lot for you, regarding directional control. I haven't been able to find anything about this in the manuals, what do you think?

Hobo
9th Feb 2004, 22:39
On the 707 I was taught one degree of control wheel for every knot of x-wind, seemed to work ok so I always applied it to all subsequent types. Don't recall a specific amount for the 737, but the above seemed to work well.

On landing I always used a good "handfull" into wind after touchdown in a significant cross wind. Kept the wing well down and the weight on the wheels.

expedite_climb
10th Feb 2004, 00:32
On the 757 the training is dont use more than '2 units' on take off for the reasons described - spoiler deflection. If it is a decent x-wind what you will then need to do is increase the aileron input as you rotate on take off. Sounds complicated, but so long you keep your eyes outside its quite easy really.