PDA

View Full Version : REDL and RCLL question

DanBaxter
4th Feb 2004, 03:32
Could anyone clarify something for me please?

I have read conflicting information with regards to the distance of runway that has red/white and red lights. Am I right in thinking that, for UK aerodromes (as I believe the US system is different), the final 300m of lighting is red, with the preceeding 600m being red/white alternating?

And also, does this same rule apply to both the edge lighting and the centre-line lighting?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Speedbird48
4th Feb 2004, 04:49
Dan,
You are correct, the US is different??
I quote from the latest Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, (FF-H-8083-25) Page 12-7.
These lights are White except on instrument runways, where Amber lights are used on the last 2,000ft or half the length of the runway, whichever is less. The lights marking the end of the runway are Red.

The Canadian Air Pilot, Instrument Procedures CAP GEN, Page 29, which is to ICAO standard and probably the same as yours, shows:-
The last 1000ft is Red. Similar to your 900 inches of Garlic!!
The 2000ft before the last 1000ft is alternating Red/White, which also equates to your measurements.
The runway end lights are Red.
Hope that helps.

redsnail
4th Feb 2004, 19:57
G'day Dan,
I whipped out the trusty CAP637 and after a quick read found the info.
For a Cat 1 runway, the runway edge lights are yellow for runways with no centreline lights and are installed on the last 600m or one third of the lit rwy length available, whichever is less. The stopway is lit with red warning lights. (1.4.1.2)
As I am sure you know, the stopway isn't used for normal ops, only for emergency use. (1.4.1.2-d) *no mention of the distance of red edge lights.

For rwy's that are used in low vis procedures and Cat2 + you'll find the rwy centreline lights alternate red/white for the last 600m with the final 300m are all red lights. (1.4.3)

It would seem that the 600m/300m distances apply to runway centreline markings.