PDA

View Full Version : What is an ID90???

P1 Forever
3rd Feb 2004, 21:59
Hi there,

The other evening I was reading posts about staff travel, but could not understand what was the full meaning of for example ID90, ID50, ID00 etc...

Could anyone care to tell me what this means and with regards to what you pay for your flight ticket.

Thank you.

mutt
3rd Feb 2004, 22:43
Basically it indicates the amount of discount received, ID90 means 90% OFF. Sounds wonderful until you read the small print, ticket prices are usually the FULL RATE IATA fare, so anything other than ID90 is usually more expensive than normal tickets available to the public.

ID90 are standby,
ID80 are standby.
ID75 may be confirmed.
ID50 are confirmed.

Mutt.

P1 Forever
3rd Feb 2004, 23:31
Thanks for that post Mutt, that's made it clear for me, cheers!

TopBunk
3rd Feb 2004, 23:33
p1

ID = Industry Discount, followed by the percentage that it is discounted.

qfmike737
3rd Feb 2004, 23:43
ID =

I -IRRATATING
D-DAY

Being stranded in Heathrow airport day after day when you got to get home to Sydney is ID90

LOL

P1 Forever
5th Feb 2004, 02:23
Hello again,

That sounds pretty good 90% off for ID90.

But, does this include first class or business class tickets, for example, if a return first class ticket cost £3000, then you would only pay £300, ie 90% OFF???

Cheers for now!

Spearing Britney
5th Feb 2004, 02:35
I wish!!! Sadly its 90 percent off full fare economy (nobody pays full fare economy anyway) and nothing off taxes and charges. As said before, it is often around the cheapest fare the public can get but you get left behind more often as it is not booked travel, only space available...

P1 Forever
5th Feb 2004, 02:59
aah, thought it was too good to be true.

Anyway, how do these BA/Vir/BMI etc..pilots/cabincrew who live away from base travel to work, do they use ID90 or something different? I have read about long haul crew based london living in France, Spain, therefore do they go on standby ID90, could be tricky and expensive over a year period I would guess.

P1 Forever.

hector
5th Feb 2004, 03:33
It is also very stressful for these commuters as they can never be sure they are going to get on a particular flight and often have to go for some earlier flight just to be sure they are going to make their check-in time.
Also never sure they are going to get the first available flight back home after duty so it can all eat into time off in a big way.
Still it is their choice!

moo
5th Feb 2004, 06:27
staff who are flying for duty reasons i.e. company rugby tour etc. get fares for virtually zero. its true that shorthaul ID90s are hardly worth it these days because of the low costers, but ID90s on longhaul are unbeatable I can tell you. I fly regularly to Harare (10 hours) for £85 plus tax. Even the most expensive fares (lhr - syd) are around £120 with my airline.

Flap Sup
5th Feb 2004, 15:36
ID tickets are often designated with a prioritycode.
eg ID90R2 = Industry discount, 90 percent, Rebate, Standby.

The percentage is already covered.
The most often used prioritycodes are:
S = Service (employee, travelling to or from work)
R = Rebate (employee, travelling for own amusement)
N = Non-company (kind of selfexplanatory)
(B = Non-company travelleing to or from work, not used by all airlines)
If you have an R2 ticket with a specific airline (eg BA) and want to use it on another airline (eg AF), you are suddenly an N2.
More codes exist, but many airlines make them up themselves.
The letter is followed by either 1 or 2, where 1 is a booked and confirmed ticket, the 2 is a standby.

These combinations can occur regardless of the discountpercentage.

All these numbers and letters are there to decide the priority in case of a full flight. An S1 ticket will have priority over everyone else, even normal farepaying passengers.

Only fly on standby tickets longhaul, if you are very, very sure that you can wait a few days for a free flight. If you travel from SE Asia during the tourist season, don't travel standby!
/FS

BlueEagle
5th Feb 2004, 15:59
....and just a bit more info P1

When presenting an ID90 one is officially supposed to present a valid airline identity card. Never been asked for it and if the family are travelling without you then they may not have one although one previous employer did issue wives with identity cards as a help when they were travelling etc. but they had no right of access anywhere, it was simply a verification that they were entitled to present ID tickets.

Also, yes, depending on your airline and your position within that airline it is possible to get First and Business class ID90 tickets. Some airlines will go for the full rate others, including my last employer, gave you the cheapest current rate. First class round trip Singapore-London-Singapore was, a couple of years ago, about S$1030 which then was GBP430.00.

P1 Forever
5th Feb 2004, 23:15
Thanks for the posts Chaps.

Just one more thing, with regards to Flap Sups post that means that these BA guys who live abroad have a good chance of getting a flight to work on a S1 ticket, but they must spend thousands of pounds every year just for the commute....

P1 Forever

Spearing Britney
5th Feb 2004, 23:51
As far as I know the BA guys in Spain etc would use a nomal ID90 to get to work. It could be up to a couple of thousand a year perhaps but tax/cost of living differences would make up for it.

S1 tickets would be rare even for crews positioning to operate, we position on upgrade if available tickets and can be bumped by fare paying execs if we are in their seats and econ if full and already checked in. Basically most people in most airlines only get sub-load economy tickets. Some (e.g. some Captains, very senior managers) may have access to business sub load tickets for a bit more money but virtually none have access to confirmed travel with any regularity (1 a year is common). US/Asian airlines tend to have better staff travel set ups than teh Europeans.

Flap Sup
6th Feb 2004, 05:29
Sorry P1, I should have been more specific.
You only get an S1 if the company sends you somewhere - An engineer may be sent to another station to fix an aircraft, pilots may be sent to or from homebase to fly to or from...
If you as an employee choose not to live where you are based, you'll have to travel R2, N2 or similar.
/FS