PDA

View Full Version : Airbus or Boeing

Ropey Pilot
3rd Feb 2004, 01:02
I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't find it - so apologies.:)

Which type is preferable, and why?:confused:

Just asking in the highly unlikely event that I would ever have the option of choosing between companies or fleets (if a company operated both). The more likely scenario is applying for one type and being asked - "So, why are you applying for a Boeing position? Why is it preferable to the Airbus?" - Or vice versa obviously:p

Just basically looking for pros and cons of each, either technical:8 , enjoyment of flying:D , or lifestyle:cool: .

expedite_climb
3rd Feb 2004, 16:19
Oh dear here we go again......

I'm just gonna duck !:ooh:

Lemurian
3rd Feb 2004, 19:18
INCOMING!!!!!!!!!

AIRWAY
3rd Feb 2004, 19:51
I'll fly anything as long as it is an Airbus :} Joking, i have no preferences, both Boeing and Airbus produce brilliant aircraft some better than others and vice versa.

:ok:

GlueBall
3rd Feb 2004, 21:32
When deadheading as a pax in economy class I prefer the A320 over the B737, because the A320 fuselage is about 7.5 inches wider, giving each pax an extra inch of elbow room. :ok:

PAXboy
4th Feb 2004, 00:50
Dear Ropey, imagine that you just asked, "Which car is better: Ford or VW?" Then imagine how the answer cannot be one thing or the other.

Hang around the forums for about a week and see how many threads that start off with titles like, "Why I prefer tea to coffee" and "Why is it raining today?" are transformed into lengthy battles of:

Airbus is better than Boeing
No it isn't
Yes, it is
I have been flying for 2,300 light years and Boeing IS best
Airbus patented that idea before the USA was even built
Boeing invented flying

:zzz:

You think I'm joking???? To save us all a lot of wasted time. "No one aircraft or manufacturer is 'better' than any other. The range of factors that determine which aircraft is better for a particular carrier or route would take ten volumes to list. The reasons why one pilot prefers one manufacturer to another takes up 100 volumes."

The only good thing that comes out of a debate on A vs B is that the people eventually get drunk and fall over or kill each other. Either way, they shut up. :rolleyes:

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

TopBunk
4th Feb 2004, 01:06
Q. Airbus or Boeing?

A. Probably - not much other choice really.

Ropey Pilot
4th Feb 2004, 02:45
Dear Prooners,

My aim was not to encourage a pi$$ing contest about who flies shinier aeroplanes. :\

You may have seen my other post about cockpit visits - I have not seen inside the office of either. My knowledge is about limited to knowing that Airbus' have sidesticks while Boeings have a yoke.

I realise there are a squillion different varients - this was never supposed to be a black/white answer. Just hoping for a few pearls of wisdom, but I supose in the cold light of the following day I realise that it was a bit of a stupid post given the nature of this beast:(

Shall drag myself off to a quiet room to commit Hare-Kiri :{

Faire d'income
4th Feb 2004, 03:03
At the risk of being slaughtered might I suggest the answer is at best subjective. Most pilots reckon their current type is the best ever.

However trying to be objective my opinion would be that quite often the more modern type in a comparision between two is the better. For example the 737 is the world's most successful type and was the best of its size for twenty years but having flown both I feel the 320 is a better overall package. That is not to knock the 737 which, for example, I feel handles max crosswind slightly better.

I however, haven't flown the 777 and would hope that it brought more modern ideas and advances to the cockpit.

Both the 380 and the 7E7 will hopefully raise the bar again in terms of safety, operation and efficiency.

Overall while I think Airbus might be slightly ahead at the moment the competition between the two is good for pliots and good for passengers. They have both taken their turn as the better of the two and hopefully that competition will remain long into the future. :ok:

EuroATC
4th Feb 2004, 05:17
As a controller, I much prefer working boeing aircraft...

B737-700/800 vs A320 Boeing climbs better and can fly faster

Most boeing's can fly faster.. B777 and B747 vs A330 and A340

The A340/300 series climbs like a sack of hammers in the best conditions. As a controller I like working an airplane that can actually expedite a climb if I need it. And we think this is bad.. wait til the A380.. I don't want to be working that airplane on a hot day.

Just a controllers opinion, as to which is more cost efficient and comfortable..who knows.??

West Coast
4th Feb 2004, 13:55
I want to fly which ever one gives me the most pay, time off and best quality of life. Its kinda fun to trash the other guys plane, but its only work. I prefer Boeing but would bid the bus in a second if I could hold weekends off on it.

Ropey Pilot
4th Feb 2004, 21:19
Thanks for those latter posts, especially EuroATC - that is exactly the type of thing I was after. I'm sure that is such basic knowledge to most people on here that they wouldn't even think about mentioning it, however I now feel slightly better informed that I was 5 mins ago.:D

Never been a spotter, so am just after a few answers to "Why would you prefer to fly Airbus with us - the 737 is a far more widely used aircaft..." (Or the other similar questions phrased either way round)

I'm sure "Because you will pay me money and I have no hope of getting a job anywhere else - I would cheerfully fly a C130 full of rubber dog$h!t out of LGW if you gave me a job" isn't the textbook interview reply:p

Cheers RP:ok:

AIRWAY
4th Feb 2004, 23:25
B737-700/800 vs A320 Boeing climbs better and can fly faster

more cost efficient and comfortable..who knows.??

The A320 is more efficient ( 6% than the B737 classic and 4% NG, got this figures from another debate regarding Airbus Vs Boeing awhile ago here in PPRuNe) and more confortable. The B737NG is bit slow on take off. As for whos fastest well it varies between...

I want to fly which ever one gives me the most pay, time off and best quality of life. Its kinda fun to trash the other guys plane, but its only work.

I agree

EuroATC
5th Feb 2004, 01:35
Airway thanks for the stat.. I am just a controller, I know nothing about what costs more or less. I know as a passenger my fav airplane is the 777. I was on a BA777 last year and was the best flight I took.. the fact I got a free upgrade to first helps haha..

I also agree... I would fly whatever airplane I could get a job on.. bottom line is.. boeing and airbus both make amazing quality airplanes.

My opinions are based solely on what I prefer when i'm working the radar.. my absolute fav plane is 767.. they climb like homesick angels and can give you fast forward speed while doing it. The airbus 319 is great too, there just are not too many of those out there yet.

PAXboy
5th Feb 2004, 03:16
Hi Ropey - thanks for taking the posts in good spirit.

Controllers also like the old 727 but not many allowed in Europe these days. In South Africa, I looked over a controller's shoulder and watched the 727-200 overhaul everything else on the screen and it was normal ops, with no special requests, so it had it's own airway.

Airbus have used fuel savings as one of their largest selling points, their wings are very efficient and slippy (I am told). One A340-200 Captain said that they can be a problem to slow down on approach, until you know what you are doing. That was in the days of flight deck visits. :D

Because of saving fuel, they are slower than the 747. On the LHR~JNB route, VS allows an extra 30 mins on the schedule for the nights that the Airbus is operating the route from the 744. It's only about 20/25 mins extra but it's simpler to have 30 mins on the schedule.

The savings in fuel across a year of operations can be significant and saving operating costs for every mile flown, is something that interests the carriers rather a lot.

silverknapper
5th Feb 2004, 22:09
Surprised no one has mentioned the table on the airbus yet, where one can enjoy a civilised meal in comfort!!!

Ropey Pilot
6th Feb 2004, 00:14
Is that a flip up table somewhere cramped or an elaborate affair where the FO can whisk a FA to for a candlelit supper for 2:p

RP

rotornut
6th Feb 2004, 02:19
In May of 2000, Air International did a very thorough comparison of the Airbus A318 through A321 series versus the Boeing NG series. The conclusion?

"...any choice between the tussling American and European twins will be based on whether one is more likely to believe the 'party line' from Seattle, Renton, and Wichita or that from Toulouse, Hamburg, and Broughton."

Enough said?

Dan Winterland
6th Feb 2004, 04:40
Can't speak about short haul, but as far as long haul is concerned - both are as boring as each other. BUT the Airboos doesnt have this enormous thing between you legs (I'm talking about the control column!) which is redundant for 99.5% of the flight, and which gets in the way of eating / stretching / newspaper reading.