PDA

View Full Version : Mayday LHR about 1750?

Tonic Please
29th Jan 2004, 01:46
I was listening to my scanner when the blizzard came over Surrey, to see what it was like at Heathrow. No im not an anorake before anyone starts.

Heard a mayday. I think it was BA by memory. Was landed on 27L I believe.

Id like to know what happened, if thats alright with you lot.

Dan

**777lover**
29th Jan 2004, 02:38
Hi,

I was also listening to LHR at around that time however a different frquency to you more than likely. I'm not a proffesional but their was an extended wait at the holding points to allow for extra spacing between the aircraft (i think?). Maybe the BA you heard might have been low on fuel? This is what my idea might be i stand to be corrected!:D

Thanks Dave :ok:

Tonic Please
29th Jan 2004, 02:58
I cant remember. I dont know why my memory is sobad today. I think I was on 118.5. Then it was told to go to 118.7

Might of course, have been the other way round :)

Dan

DarkStar
29th Jan 2004, 03:37
I also thought I heard the 'Mayday' call. I was listening out on 118.5 and an aircraft called 'Mayday', but almost instantly, the next message by the same voice gave a BA flt number but I cannot recall it. It was around 1745-1800 during moderate snow and gusting winds. There was no reaction from the Tower that I could hear and I convinced myself that I must have mis-heard. Eery feeling though...:uhoh:

topgundom
29th Jan 2004, 03:38
I heard the controller tell some of the other inbound flights that the runway was obstructed at Heathrow.

Perhaps it overshot or skidded off a bit.

Bournemouth was the place most diverted to, by the sounds of things.

notmemorable
29th Jan 2004, 21:10
...was the callsign.

Those of you who are grammatically disadvantaged have now been suitably chided, so back to the matter in hand...

I live in Twickenham and switched on my airband to find out Heathrow weather when the snow (and lightning) started. Whilst I was trying to find ATIS I crossed 118.7 and heard "Mayday". Tower congratulated 19Y on touchdown and passed him onto ground without further comment. Couldn't be ar*£d to carry on listening as drama was safely concluded - but was hoping to find out here...

simfly
30th Jan 2004, 02:20
19Y would have been ABZ-LHR. Haven't seen any hype in local Aberdeen papers ie- plane skids thorugh 180 degrees in snow/ice/lightning nightmare etc etc....