PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind Limitations Relating to Contaminated Runway Surfaces

WhiskeyNovember
28th Jan 2004, 12:22
While chatting with a relative of mine who flies for Comair here in the US, I was surprised to learn that their crosswind limitations are not adjusted for less than ideal braking surfaces.

For example, he was telling me about a particular landing somewhere in New York that was rather unnerving because of the combination of poor braking action reports and a crosswind.

I've always assumed that some type of crosswind limitations would be placed on landing aircraft when braking action is reported as poor. Is this the case with other airlines? How about 135 operators?

I'd be curious to compare the procedures put in place by aircraft manufacturers with those put in place with operators.

-WN

Nightrider
28th Jan 2004, 16:00
With braking action poor you don't need a crosswind limit as you should not be in the air at all!
Which performance data will you follow with braking action poor...how poor...???
There is already a reduced crosswind limit when looking at wet runways (at least on most aeroplanes) and when contaminated there is mostly a 0-5kt max allowed...if landing is permitted at all.