PDA

View Full Version : Airlines at Kitchener-Waterloo

skidcanuck
23rd Jan 2004, 22:11
Has anyone heard of any plans by Westjet or any other scheduled operator to provide service to Kitchener-Waterloo?

Sawbones
25th Jan 2004, 23:22
Westjet to Kitchener-Waterloo? I rather doubt it. They have just recently announced plans to significantly downsize their operation from Hamilton and shift flying to Toronto Pearson.

Their reasons were that although the YYZ operation will be more expensive than YHM, it is, unfortunately, where the bulk of southern Ontario lives and prefers to use as an airport.

MLS-12D
27th Jan 2004, 23:07
Sounds very unlikely to me.

rotornut
1st Feb 2004, 20:08
skidcanuck
Check out this article in Report on Business magazine:

http://globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040130/RO2WESTJE/TPBusiness/ROBM

It gives a good explanation of WJ's rationale for its routes in Canada. I think it's safe to say that unless they purchase Embraer 190s, a real possibility according to the article, they won't be flying into KW.

bin Ich
2nd Feb 2004, 05:43
There's something going on right now but I wouldn't bet my money on Westjet. The rumour is Bearskin will fly YKF-YOW with a PC12.

604guy
3rd Feb 2004, 06:45
There was a newpaper article I saw that was talking about Quickair(?) coming to fly a YKF - YOW route with J31's. This company is apparently based in Edmonton doing some Calgary - Edmonton stuff and sees this as a market opportunity. I have no idea as to the accuracy of this though.

Sawbones
3rd Feb 2004, 20:49
Always seems to be somebody convinced that they can make a success of something where others have failed. There was a previous operator out of YKF (forgot who) who operated J31s to Ottawa up until approximately 2 years ago.

Their fare was quite steep as I recall, but eventually they had to cease operations.

604guy
3rd Feb 2004, 21:12
That was Trillium doing YKF - YOW before. I believe it was a Pemair operation?