PDA

View Full Version : Innsbruck Airport

MayorQuimby
20th Jan 2004, 22:37
Hi,

I'll shortly be making my second visit to Innsbruck as a passenger. Since I was there before (and couldn't believe the view from the window), I had a look at the approach plates and I was wondering about what the heavy iron pilots make of flying into this airport.

To my untrained eye (I'm just a private pilot), the approach to 08 and departures off 26 look exiting to say the least. Do 737s, etc., really perform that tight visual circuit?

Do you have to receive special training for aiports such as this, and are these procedures anything to raise an eyebrow at?

Regards,
MQ.

411A
21st Jan 2004, 00:37
Those with long memories, will recall Montana Aviation, and their ops with a Boeing 720B at this airport in the 1970's.

Met one the the Captains some years later and he mentioned....an 'interesting' exercise.:ooh:

cws
21st Jan 2004, 02:13
Hi
you need a special Sim Training and special approved app plates which are not open to the public. From the DHC8 , 737, MD80 all the way up to the B767 flies to INN. Enjoy the stay there, is a nice place.
If you want more info you should get in touch with the Austrian Pilot Association ( ACA) I am sure they have lots of Infos on INN,
Happy Landings,

Miles Magister
21st Jan 2004, 03:14
MQ,

CWS is mostly right. The plates are available to anyone who cares to pay for them through Jeppesen or the Austrian AIP etc. The Airport Authorities specify some special restrictions for Innsbruck and these are listed in the notes to the approach plates. These are that the handling pilot must have practiced an approach, baulked landing, circling approach, go around and departure before flying in to Innsbruck IMC or at night. These can either be done in a simulator with suitably realistic visual representation of the topogorophy or done in VMC at the airfield. Individual companies will specify their own additional requirements in their own operations manual. For UK public transport companies the CAA approve the companies own training and have to approve the use of a particular simulator for training.

Hope this answers your question.

MM

MayorQuimby
22nd Jan 2004, 16:54
Thanks guys.

I'm looking forward to that view again (and some snow, hopefully, to try out the new skis on!).

MQ.

GlueBall
22nd Jan 2004, 21:59
INN Aerial (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/481244/L/)

dolly737
22nd Jan 2004, 22:40
Hey, enjoy the snow and the mountains!

Final Rwy 26 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/481245/L/)

Takeoff Rwy 26 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/482937/L/)

BOAC
23rd Jan 2004, 20:55
Hey Glueball - don't know who John Miller is, but he needs to tighten up his circuits :p

dolly737
24th Jan 2004, 00:42
Hey BOAC,

I guess the real challenge for the purists is to make extra-WIDE circuits down in the valley (and not get annoyed by the mountains) :cool: :D :D :D :cool:

Ignition Override
24th Jan 2004, 12:33
Beautiful-but has anyone out there flown into either Missoula, Kalispell or Bozeman, Montana (US), or others here in the US? Flew into and out of all of those (in the left seat) at night or IMC, and most were uncontrolled airports. The Salt Lake Center controller had asked us whether we wanted to do a circling approach from a VOR into Kalispell (night IMC)! My first time!! The ATC controller was completely nuts.

Those are just about as hazardous as what the pictures of Innsbruck indicate. How about into Eagle, Colorado? My company only flies the 757 into KEGE because of the single-engine climb performance (2.4% +). Crews fly the simulator once a year in and out of EGE just for currency. It required, years ago, an LNAV/VNAV/LOC approach for runway 25 with full flaps and gear exetended about 30 miles out near Kremmling VOR, and many extra procedures complied with in a very short period of time (LNAV track deviation etc).:\

A few years ago we tried to use the KLM network on Air Alps from AMS to either SZG or Innsbruck, but they operated only 30-seat Dornier 328! Why only the smallest regional jets to cross about half of Europe? Ridiculous. Ended up flying on KLM 737 to Munich then taking the train (via Ostbahnhof?).

dolly737
24th Jan 2004, 19:32
IO:

Well, may I clarify that going in and out of Innsbruck is NOT hazardous at all! It may be a bit more compex though. Following prescribed procedures and adhering to certain performance limitations makes the operation there just as safe as on any other airport.

Happy landings

Tom the Tenor
28th Jan 2004, 05:46
Montana Austria operated some Boeing 707-138Bs, OE-INA & OE-IRA. Both aircraft were hired in by Aer Lingus and visited Cork in the infamous strike of March/April 1978. The aircraft were ex-Qantas & Braniff. What a laugh - even the spotters were referring to the second registered aircraft above as 'Romeo Alpha' in order not to worry the patient, waiting pax going off to LHR! Had no problem operating from Cork's short runway of the time, 6000 feet.

dolly737
5th Feb 2004, 23:10
I suspect John Miller must be reading these posts...

...because here is an EXTRA WIDE circuit into INN (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/504111/L/) , I guess just for BOAC :D :D :D :E

Happy landings

chippy63
6th Feb 2004, 15:40
Is that what's called High Finals?:uhoh:

mattpilot
7th Feb 2004, 01:43
Qouting the caption of the last picture posted:

"No, we're not landing on Rwy 08. Positioning for left downwind Rwy 26 with Lauda-air OE-LNN from Bristol."