PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Track/FPA

radarman
20th Jan 2004, 03:04
An ATC question for 'bus drivers. At my unit, SRA's are the only instrument approach available. Just about all 320 pilots request, or announce, that they will be flying the approach using 'Track'.
First Q: Is this derived from an Airbus requirement that all non-precision approaches be flown using Track/FPA?
Second Q: Some of us here are only too happy to talk down using track as it makes the SRA easy-peasy. Let the aeroplane fiddle round with the drift. But what do you do, as pilot, if the controller says 'Turn right heading 275'. Do you set 275 anyway and let the controller puzzle out why your plane isn't doing what he wants? Or do you perform a bit of mental arithmetic and say 'He's given us a heading of 275, but he's taking into consideration the wind from the north and really wants us to fly a track of 270. I'll set that instead'?
Over.

Spearing Britney
20th Jan 2004, 03:28
All very SOP dependant but for me...

Q1 NPA's are generally flown in Track-FPA, gives us the 'bird' a flight path vector to assist once visual...

Q2 Never do avoidable mental arithmetic! We either fly headings if the controller wants or fly tracks and agree it with with he of the disembodied voice...