PDA

View Full Version : Utter Frustration

Airbus.De
18th Jan 2004, 02:24
Utter Frustration

I have posted on several occasions a request for information on flight training in Germany (Hamburg).

I had a chat with a local school yesterday and tried to come up with a plan of how a non fluent in German, English man can take a PPL (A) or shall I say the new all singing and dancing JAR FCL-1

I appreciate this is new and my frustration comes from the fact that I CAN’T DO A PPL
Well here in Germany.

The guy at the school told me that there are different German Air Laws than in England for example they have no A & B airspace. So my plan of sitting English exams and taking the practical in Germany has gone straight out the window. So then I thought I can do the exams in German but my fear is will I really understand the questions or even more importantly the meaning of the answers?

The instructor told me he didn’t see a problem with translating some of the questions for me. Does anyone see a problem with this? As long as my understanding is there then I guess I will be safe. The fact that I can’t read the question because it’s in a foreign language should not affect my ability to fly should it?

Is it a bad idea to muddle through through the exam and expect to learn enough about the local Law in my practical lessons to be SAFE in future flying?

Can I find the German Air Law and learn it in English but obviously take the exam in German? If so where would I find this?

Under JAR FCL-1 I can fly any where in Europe (please correct me if I am wrong) so how can the laws be so different surely this poses a threat to safety would a JAR FCL-1 licence holder issued in England know the law of another JAR compliant country?

I know of a German Guy who has his PPL issued here in Germany He can not speak a word of English OK “A-BCDE to Depart” etc but if flying outside his country would ATC understand “Ich habe ein problem mit meine Hohemesse” apologies if my spelling is incorrect.

Sorry had to get that off my chest as you probably understand all I want to do is learn to fly.

What Can I do??????????????????????

ADe

P.S I have posted it here as Instructors my be able to help with the Questions I have

Sensible
18th Jan 2004, 09:20
How about taking a four week vacation and doing the whole thing in the USA. Lifes complicated enough without serious language problems - our colonial cousins almost speak the same language and the weather is generally good enough to get the whole PPL done in 3-4 weeks if you are so minded. Make sure you get the visa thing sorted, good approved schools do all the work for you and the rest is easy. PMl me if you want some pointers.