PDA

View Full Version : Md80

James / dunno
1st Jan 2004, 00:53
What do you think about doing a type rating on an MD80 for the future? The question is: would the MD80 be well used by companies that alredy own that type of aircraft like Alitalia that has nearly 90 MD80s!!!!???
Thanks
James

Boss Raptor
1st Jan 2004, 01:14
86 MD80's at Alitalia, all sched for retirement

I am aware of at least 18 of those that that do have (not 90) that will be returned to one lessor over next 2 years...and rest are scheduled to follow in parallel

MD80 is and will be a good type for small operators for some years to come but at the moment an MD80 rating is a gamble like most other ratings. MD80 will go to third tier operators both in the West and in Asia and Eastern Europe as is already happening, Stage 4 Hushkit guarantees its' life...but unlikely to be flown by other than local nationals.

typhoonpilot
1st Jan 2004, 02:16
The MD-80 is not a rating to go pay for in hopes of getting a well paying job. When I was looking for positions over a year ago the MD-80 jobs I was offered were for US$4750/month in Indonesia as an instructor, $4000/month in Tunisia as captain, and $6000/month in China as an MD-90 sim instructor. All of those were short to medium term contracts. Compare this to 8 years ago when some of the better MD-80 contract jobs were in the $8000-10,000/month range and you can see the trend. Couple that with the fact that the airplane is not being manufactured anymore and it is just going to get worse. Sure the airplane will continue flying but in mostly third world countries for crap pay.

Typhoonpilot

James / dunno
1st Jan 2004, 04:51
So if you think that the MD80 is not a good type rating to have for the future, just to know what is your opinion, which do you think is the best type rating to have?
Cheers
James

Boss Raptor
1st Jan 2004, 04:57
Not good not bad...better B737-300/400/500 in Europe...in my opinion

Midnight Mike
1st Jan 2004, 06:52
I am a ground pounder, but I would imagine that an Airbus or a 737 type rating would be the best type rating to have right now. Follow the airplanes, the big airlines are phasing out their MD80's and the smaller LCC's are picking up the MD80's, because they are dirt cheap, so, I would imagine the pay will be cheap as well..

typhoonpilot
2nd Jan 2004, 00:57
Happy New Year Mike.

I agree the 737 or Airbus type ratings would be more beneficial. It all depends on the country and what possible jobs are for that country though. The unfortunate thing about Europe and other places is that their type ratings are much more specific than in the U.S.. In the U.S. a 737 type rating covers all models from the 737-200 to the 737-900. That isn't necessarily the case in Europe so the question becomes whether or not to go for the 300/400/500 or the 600/700/800/900.

Even if you do get a type rating, it may not be enough. Most employers want time in type as well.

My preference would be to get a job with a company willing to pay for the training or at worst subject you to a reasonable bond. That way you don't have to front money for something that might not be useful.

Typhoonpilot