PDA

View Full Version : IMC Privileges

G-SPOTs Lost
29th Dec 2003, 07:11
Please could somebody provide a link to

ANO schedule 8, Section A, Appendix F

What Im trying to do is confirm IMC Privileges.

Is the cloudbase minima of 500ft (Precision) (+ add ons) and 600ft (N Prec) mandatory or advisory. Are those minima calculated back from 1800m vis on approach??

Im looking for something I can print off and shove up somebodys nose...

Ta.

IRRenewal
29th Dec 2003, 14:47
Are you trying to prove they are mandatory or advisory?

When I looked into it before there was nothing in law that would stop an IMC rating holder on a private flight to fly any approach down to system minima, provided there is 1800 meter visibility below cloud. All instructors/examiners I know agree with this view.

Regards

Gerard

Keygrip
29th Dec 2003, 19:46
I used to examine with those figures as "Mandatory".

CAA slapped me around the head and insisted that (although good airmanship values) they are recommended - so "Advisory"

bookworm
29th Dec 2003, 23:38
Schedule 8 won't help you (it doesn't mention DH/MDH).

Art 40 makes it mandatory to use the 'specified decision height' (or equivalent) as notified in the AIP.

AIP AD 1.1.2 para 3.3.2.1 says that IMC rated pilots "are recommended to add 200 ft to the minimum applicable DH/MDH, but with an absolute minimum of 500 ft for a precision approach and 600 ft for a non-precision approach".

The only interpretation of that that might support the 500/600 ft being mandatory is if absolute is interpreted as mandatory in contrast to recommended. There is little justification for interpreting absolute in that way. It means not relative, in contrast to the increments in the previous part of the sentence.