PDA

View Full Version : Standard Noise?

duir
18th Dec 2003, 06:36
Was flying near Newcastle the other day when I heard the phrase "Standard Noise" in reference to a commercial flights transponder setting. Can anyone tell me what this means.
Also heard the phrase"Amber" but not sure what it was in reference to as I was in IMC at the time and concentrating very hard! :eek:

Captain Stable
18th Dec 2003, 15:46
It's not in reference to a transponder setting, but is issued in a departure clearance with the transponder setting.

"Standard Noise" means the aircraft is to depart the airfield using the "standard noise" abatement procedure, which is designed to avoid upsetting the local residents by excessive noise, or routing over particularly noise-sensitive areas. It defines where to turn, what climb rate is to be used, etc. etc. They are found (for each airport) in the Jeppesen/Aerad/Whatever plates for the field.

duir
21st Dec 2003, 22:35
Thanks Captain Stable:)

BOAC
22nd Dec 2003, 02:24
'Amber' - you could have heard a NATO airfield 'colour state', which range from 'BLUE' (Blue Sky'ish) via WHITE/GREEN/YELLOW/AMBER to 'RED' (not nice - ie below CAT 1 limits) to 'BLACK' - someone or something has closed the airfield. The RAF USED to have 'YELLOW1 and YELLOW2 in my days (post Spitfire:O )