PDA

View Full Version : What do airline pilot's do after 60?

strafer
16th Dec 2003, 16:40
...Presuming you've still got a Class 1 and don't want to improve your gardening skills.

I wouldn't have thought there's that many vacancies for training Captains etc, so what do most pilots do? Go fly exec jets, go into management/ops? GA instructing? None of the above?

redsnail
16th Dec 2003, 22:27
After 60? Many instruct, shift to other parts of the world that don't have that restriction, become ground school lecturers or sim instructors/checkies.

Miserlou
16th Dec 2003, 23:36
They die, don't they?

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was one of those occupations, like teaching, where people die about 5 years after retirement.

Try the Life after Aviation Forum.

strafer
17th Dec 2003, 16:28
Miserlou,

it was actually the ones who don't die or retire that I was interested in! I just wondered how many pilots stay in aviation and in what capacities. (Which Redsnail has probably fully answered for me).

Merry Xmas

av8boy
18th Dec 2003, 05:05
The ones I know sit and the pub and repeatedly thrill everyone with the story of their part in the raid over Macho Grande...

:O
Dave

Say again s l o w l y
18th Dec 2003, 05:09
If they retired a few years ago after working for a company like BA they'll either sit around and count their money or be writing out alimony checks.

scroggs
18th Dec 2003, 19:24
Keep on flying to 65, in my company. And may well be longer, subject to medical and proficiency checks, after new anti-ageist legislation is introduced in the EU in, I think, 2005.

MILLENNIUM
18th Dec 2003, 19:55
The same as what you do before you reach 60.

Nothing....!

Sit up front and moan about how hard life is and how underpaid you are....!

M.85
18th Dec 2003, 21:41
Keep on paying our debts?:{ :rolleyes:

M.85

BoeingMEL
18th Dec 2003, 22:10
They sit at home, dust off those old school books and remind themselves that, in this context ( a simple plural), it is

PILOTS NOT PILOT'S!!

Merry Christmas everybody...hic! bm

woftam
20th Dec 2003, 09:32
Got a chuckle from one of our F/A's recently who told me the reason most pilots die within a year of retirement is because nobody tells their wives they need to be fed every 15 minutes.

:D

strafer
29th Dec 2003, 23:21
BoeingMEL - thanks for the pointless pedantry old chap. Twas (sorry, 'twas) a result of absent-mindedness rather than lack of grammatical knowledge, but its (whoops, it's) good to know that your (bollocks, you're) keeping busy in your retirement.

The big red font wasn't actually necessary as I'm still young enough to read normal sized lettering.

Happy New Year. I said, HAPPY NEW YEAR.;)

West Coast
30th Dec 2003, 13:31
What they do after 60 is directly related to how many ex wives they have.

I have known a number of guys who went and wore the black hat at the FAA for a few more years to shore up retirement plans. A few others went into real estate in their mid 50s and carried on with it after getting the boot. A few others are now sim guys. Probably the best off is a guy from Montana who now owns a bait and tackel shop/fishing and hunting guide service.

DanAir1-11
31st Dec 2003, 11:25
What do airline pilots do after 60?

If I'm in the 172, I start to think about rotating.

Seriously though, you can move to a remote 'corner' of the planet and fly 'dodgy' piston twins for people who can't comprehend the reasons behind operating with a fuel reserve contingency, and where an alternate is any straight bit of dirt with few enough rocks on it to remove undercart or whatever bits of flap you have hanging off the back of the wings!!!. A place where it is regularly 45 degrees C in the shade before 9 am and birstrikes of the magnitude that will remove an entire wing (ie Emu's)

Think this is a whinge?? NO WAY, it reignited my absolute passion for aviation and despite having absolutely no prestige and lousy pay, it is grass roots aviation and I am still flying!!!

strafer
31st Dec 2003, 17:36
What do airline pilots do after 60? If I'm in the 172, I start to think about rotating.
:ok:

Midnight Mike
1st Jan 2004, 06:55
Some instruct, ground school and/or simulator training, in some countries you can fly past 60. Other pilots still fly, but ferry flights only. I know a pilot who is 67 years old and ferries DC10's, 727's, & MD11's.